Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Feature Definition Error message when correcting a pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtwo

Automotive
Oct 17, 2002
US
I am trying to create a pocket in a solid using a surface as the profile but I get the error message:

"The profile is locally parallel to the extrusion direction. The extrustion cannont be defined at that place. Choose a profile and a direction that are not parallel." I have utilized this process in the past with success.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi,

Check whether you have defined a normal direction for the pocket.
Also try making an extract or a boundary of the surface to get a 2D sketch and try to make a pocket.

I usually means, that your surface is locally parallel to your pocket pulling direction. Instead of this approach you could create simple sketch "above" your surface and use it as pocket profile and drag it "until surface" method up to your desired surface. It's hard to advice, when we can't see what you're trying to achieve :) try to put some screenshot of your part and surface

Hi

It's clear that you can't use this surface and this direction :) Part of that surface is locally parallel to the direction, which you chose. I think it is part of the surface parallel to V-direction of the compass. you can try different direction for the pocket extrusion or you can try to define pocket as I wrote in previous post. But you have to be sure, that surface is "bigger" than square shape from the top (I mean shapes for your screenshot). For that - you have to extrapolate your surface first in direction, in which surface is "missing" ;) I do not know if the pad can be cut throughout though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back