Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Features you wish NX had? 32

Status
Not open for further replies.

junfanbl

Marine/Ocean
Jun 10, 2015
US
Hello, I am curious to know peoples opinions on what they like most about NX and some new features( or improvements) that it could use. I know I can think of some myself. I ask because I am always trying to gather ideas on how to better utilize the software in my own personal workflow. Part of that for me is developing scripts and stand alone libraries that extend NX functionality.

So I thought what better way to get ideas than to ask the engineering community in general. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Modeling, Drafting, Assemblies, Advanced Assemblies, Sheet Metal Nesting, Mechanical/Electrical Routing functions all within a single license bundle AND with a total cost that is not that far from a mid range CAD package like SolidWorks Pro. Amen.

StudioTreccani:
way back in time when we were running NX on 19 inch 4:3 "fat screen monitors" ( compared to todays flatscreen wide format screens) One could measure things on the screen !
I once had a group of people in a training class who had discovered that if they clicked View-operation-zoom ( Ctrl+Shift+Z) and entered "1", they could measure things on the screen with a ruler.
( They actually used this method to program a coordinate measuring machine to check car-dashboards!!!)
If you go Preferences - Visualization - view / screen - session settings-calibrate, you can with some trial and error adjust such that 1 = 1.

2) I think that you can disable zooming but keep rotate/ pan if you use a spaceball.

Regards,
Tomas

CNSZU said:
[ul]
[li]Boolean operations should have an option to automatically interact with *any* intersecting body (and not force the user to select a body)[/li]
[/ul]
Default to all - able to deselect undesired body

CNSZU said:
[ul]
[li][/li]
[li]A smarter coordinate input cursor box that is more discreet and out of the way (especially when moving components)[/li]
[/ul]
Be able to place and lock out of way. I'm continuously moving these boxes out of the way and gets annoying real fast.

Toggle between inch and metric within a prt file. We regularly download commercial hardware/parts/components and these are frequently in metric. We use work-arounds but how hard is it really to inbed this in the base code? Its a simple math conversion.

Rcass: You know that you can , with some hassle, convert files between mm <-> Inch ? ( ug_convert_part.exe )
You also know that you can enter values in Inches in metric files by entering say :"2.5in" ? ( there are quite a few of these conversion "names".)

Regards,
Tomas

I added the convert file into the windows context menu.

right click -> convert to inch
right click -> convert to MM

Seems to work fine. but yes, its not on the fly inside NX.

hotrod1967 said:
I would like to see a spell checker.

Good suggestion and has been mentioned for over a decade and still not a priority (I guess). In the meantime, copy/paste your text into something that can spellcheck. When finished, copy/paste it back into the text dialog.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.3.4 Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Go to this Eng-Tips thread…

…and scroll down to my entry dated 3 Oct 13 19:11 and you'll find a link to an 'app' that can be used with virtually any Windows application, including NX, that will automatically spellcheck any entry typed into a text widget.

John R. Baker, P.E.
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

I would love a feature where my ER's are reviewed. Still have ER's from 2014 with a Not Reviewed status.

I think the feature that irritates me the most is Divide Face. I can't define a vector to use when dividing faces, whilst still projecting to both sides.
Trim sheet can do this. You can't always use Normal to Face.

A sketch button just like "create rectangle" or "create polygon" that lets you "Create Rounded Rectangle"

rounded_rectangle_zsaghd.png

Also, I the perpendicular constraints and the parallel constraints are dysfunctional in the geometry solver.

They seem to be "soft" constraints" where horizontal, coincident, fixed and tangent seem to be "hard" constraints.

siemens_NX_constraint_FLAW_2_hoxw7v.png
siemens_NX_constraint_FLAW_xemdf9.png

I'm still on 7.5 so maybe this has been addressed in later versions, but bring back the ability to place a datum plane at an angle to another plane and through an axis not parallel to the other plane. At one time I could do this but now I get a message stating "Axis should be parallel." My current work around is to bring in a part file with a single plane in it, use assembly constraints to place as needed (aligned to an axis and at an angle to a plane or planar surface), then create a linked plane from that.

Hi dear friends
I didnt work with nx 11
Who knows about it?

This thread was very good and had great suggestions for nx
Is any of them applied to nx 11?

What about drafting?
Is any good news for Arranging dimensions?

Windows 10
NX 10

After waiting 1 year 8 months I was hoping to see much more than
what we received on the CAM side. The software needs a real world
High speed roughing strategy with step up machining like volumill
and Imachine to make better use of the tool and reduce roughing time.
The current trochoidal roughing is dated and not very good, in
light of better strategies. We got a few minor updates, but no reason to
leave NX10.
Currently using NX10.03
Cncpro99

Please keep in mind that significant CAM enhancements generally are delivered as part of the first maintenance release after a major CAD release. While I don't know this for sure (can someone like Mark Reif comment) but I would look to NX 11.0.1.x before I would suggest that there were no useful CAM updates in the new release or that there was no motivation to move from NX 10 to NX 11.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

The Lazarus thread....it just won't die!

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.3.4 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

The amazing invisible CAM enhancements....requested by hundreds!

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back