Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Federal Pacific gear a fire hazard???! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

klubie

Electrical
May 2, 2006
US
The local inspector is telling us we need to replace a number of panels in our facility "due to the fire hazard with this equipment." Is anyone aware of this and able to offer any insight?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on the age actually and what equipment you are speaking of. FPE got in trouble in the early 80's over their residential circuit breakers and was pulled from the US market, mainly for UL testing violations once the problems began to surface. FPE still existed in Canada however, different facilities making different products for different markets. More recently they started up again in the US making Medium Voltage gear and transformers.

But if you are referring to old circuit breaker load centers, i.e. 120V 1 pole breakers and such, then yes, that is a distinct possibility. The problem was mainly with 2 pole circuit breakers because if an overload occurred on one pole, the breaker might jam and not open. A lot of appliances use the 240V not only for the main power element such as a heater coil, but also for distributed 120V loads inside the appliance, such as controls. The problem only happened when there was a short in a 120V load fed from a 240V breaker. Where FPE got into trouble once this was found out was that they lied to UL about their test results, so UL pulled their approval on all products, making FPE unable to sell their residential products in most states.

Technically inspectors cannot force you to rip out existing installations, but they can refuse to allow connections or modifications to them when you do new work of any sort. I had an FPE panel in my house (built in 1951) for 50 years without a single problem. When I did a room addition though, the inspector said "Yank it if I wanted a permit". I obeyed.

Eng-Tips: Help for your job, not for your homework Read faq731-376 [pirate]

Jraef got that one pretty right on. I had a commercial installation which had FPE branch panels. 208Y/120V,3ph,4w. We had two failures on 2-pole and one on a 3pole c/b. We did replace the panel with another manufacturer's equipment.

Hello klubie

jraef is correct in respect to an inspectors jurisdiction concerning existing installations, at least in all the states I have had dealings in. The one thing to bear in mind is the state fire marshall does have the power, if he deems it an imminent danger. Also, in several states(mine for one), the electrical code enforcement's office is a division of the state fire marshall's office.

Be careful in who you challenge, he most likely will have a "big brother" he can call!

My advice would be to consider replacing the equipment, especially if it could pose a risk or liability for you or others.

jraef said alot when he said he had never had a problem. Darn right when it comes to FPE, because if he had it probably would have been disastrous.

Bigbillnky,C.E.F.....(Chief Electrical Flunky)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back