Feedback for this CHS to CHS brace connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

saruncivil

Structural
Oct 31, 2012
AE
Dear creators,

Please give your feedback for this CHS to CHS brace connections.

As the CHS member size and thickness are same, we developed CHS welded joints as discontinuous in both directions in order to avoid local failures in CHS member.

Please suggest any drawbacks on the proposed detail and looking ahead for your reply.

Thanking you
Arun S

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b78ea5d6-0d29-44e1-b071-5b21ef6ae20c&file=QUERY.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nothing is continuous in that type connection. And even if the connection is satisfactory without continuity, how do you propose to make those welds with complete penetration?

If this has to be a welded connection, it is much better to continue one member through and weld the others to it.

I would prefer a bolted connection, with a plate split through the continuous member, and also split into the connecting braces. With heavily loaded compression members, it is sometimes necessary to then stiffen the connection laterally.

I completely agree with hokie's preferred connection.

Michael.
"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ~ Tim Minchin

yes, you are right hokie's and green. we can't able to achieve the complete penetration butt weld due to more inclination, so weld strength will reduce.
thank you for your guidance and your valuable time spend for me...

Check AISC design guide 24 for design guidance on this type of connection under axial and moment loading. As per the other replies one of the members definitely needs to be continuous.

If you can't get the capacity required in the discontinuous member due to one of the limit states failing, I have in the past slotted an additional thick fin plate through the continuous member and used this to carry the loads (tension and compression) in addition to welding the 2 CBS together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back