Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEM Analysis of Pipe Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikolastrojman

Industrial
Jul 17, 2007
AT
Hi

I'm rather new to world of FEM, that's why I would like to ask someone experienced enough to help me with my problem. I'm trying to run static analysis of pipe support (see attachment) in Solidworks Simulation but I have doubts on how to setup the model, the boundary conditions i.e. fixtures and the how to transfer the load from pipe to pipe support. For ease of modelling this problem let's assume that this support is an anchor.

Any help is appreciated.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=09935ac5-39e6-4af8-be50-7318d2351f94&file=Lisega_Clamp.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't have to model pipe itself if you need only stress and displacement in support. You can replace it with proper load. Also bolted joints can be modeled with special boundary conditions. No need to use their geometry. Of course you also need to fix the bottom of that support. But if you still want to use pipe geometry too then you need to model contact between those two parts.

Hi @klaus

If you know how to do this by hand, please share this information with us, I'm alway eager to learn something new.

Hi @gravityandinertia

I'm trying to calculate allowable loads for pipe support.

A pipe stress analysis (thermal flexibility analysis) will predict stresses in piping and loads on equipment leading to predictable thermal gradients, thermal transients, physical weights, pressure, and bolt-up strain.
This in-depth engineering simulation analysis is typically needed for piping that experiences high-temperature fluctuations, or for extremely long pipe runs such as hot piping to coolers or headers.
Specific Cases, where equipment is sensitive to exposure to external force loadings, may also require the professional advice of a pipe stress analysis consultant.

Daniel Tan
BroadTech Engineering Pte Ltd
Your Trusted Engineering Simulation Consultancy

During the FEA analysis of the piping support, it is important that you take careful consideration of the following:

1D BEAM elements
– quick and easy, precise and accurate FEA simulation results for obtaining the magnitude of reaction forces and moments. This can be used in manual hand calculations for mechanical welds and serve as a useful guidance for the selection of pipe support materials

Detailed 3D / 2D sub models
- for Y-pipe section and diverters may be analyzed using the 1D BEAM model results.

Daniel Tan
Your Trusted Engineering Simulation Expert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back