Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

FEM Analyst or Developer? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksonfem

Structural
Dec 8, 2010
GR
I have the oppurtunity to work for a company that develops a Finite Element Solver. I must choose between the next two:
1) Programming of FEM method etc, with C, C#.
2) Performing analyses to check if the solver works properly.

I have worked as a structural engineer, 10 years now, where I have performed FEM structural analyses with softwares such as SOFiSTiK, SAP etc.
From advanced FEM softwares, I have worked with NASTRAN, on static, dynamic, nonlinear (material-geometrical), contact analyses etc. Essentially,
I have done something like the second opportunity, from above. It's something that I like very very much.

If I follow the second opportunity (performing analyses), I will do what I know to do, bit in a more advanced level of course.

If I follow the first opportunity (developer), it will be something new to me. I don't even know programming.
Beside I know very well to perform analyses with FEM, I know very little from FEM theory. But I know very well Strength of Materials, Statics, Dynamics etc.
In the other hand, I 'm very interesting of how these things are programmed (element formulation, analyses methods, newton-raphson, arc-length etc.)

The thing is this: I don't want to lose the "engineering of the whole thing", in case I go for a FEM developer. I have heard that FEM programming, is 90%
programming and 10% engineering. There is no opportunity to do both developing and perfoming analyses. I don't want to be "transformed" in a developer/mathematician and leave behind engineering.

I would like to tell me your opinions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So Jackson - Stick with #2 and spare the end users (if it ever gets there) some [hairpull3]

(this is of course if you don't want to stop most of the engineering side and spend some years programming before you do anything useful)

MikeHalloran said:

... and that's probably more than you wanted to know. Sorry.

I asked for it. [smile]

I specify servo-motors and I think it is our electronics people who write the software. I suspect that they do not account for inertia. I expect mechies to get this right.

I have an Arduino kit at home, but the stepper has a 64:1 reducer. When I figure it out, I will have to get a plain stepper motor and attach a load to it.

--
JHG

drawoh, re stepper inertia:
If there's even one modest gear reduction involved, inertia is not likely to be a problem, so an ME might do a one-time check that the first pinion/pulley is not too heavy, but you don't need to make a career of it.

... but there's another reason to not write super high performance stepper software; the lot to lot variation in a stepper population can drive you crazy. Some of them are much more magnetically 'tight' than others. Whether that's a good thing or not depends on the driver electronics and on the nature of the load.

In something that would be sensible for/to an ME, in one my later deeply embedded projects, I addressed the issue of heat, by running a super simple thermal model of the motor and driver. My controller responded to text commands, and would move a commanded distance on command, then send an acknowledgement to the host system. Unless the motor was in danger of overheating, in which case it would refuse to move, and send a 'not acknowledge' flag to the host.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

My frustration with steppers has always been (slowly-increasing) backlash in the gear train. For precision positioning, a few steps here and there can be "okay", but as the drivetrain gets sloppier and sloppier, precision goes out of the window. On my last project, what started as 2-4 steps of backlash with a fresh train would increase to 25-30 steps after a few hours of use. You can train at the beginning of a session, IF you have a limit switch... but I am rarely so lucky, and a limit switch is useless when you need to train in the middle of a use session.

Dan - Owner
URL]

My first exposure to steppers was a slow-moving mechanism where the relentless click-click-click would brinnell bearings into jig-bored aluminum plates, eventually elongating the holes so much that the gears would slip teeth. I don't know if our custom couplings absorbed or amplified the shock, or if less primitive electronic drivers would have helped. Since then I have tended to use timing belts with steppers, at least for the first pass.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back