Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEM software actual Maxima and Minima Beam Elements(Paging user JoshPlum) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celt83

Structural
Sep 4, 2007
US
This is a question for any user/s that are involved with or have extensive knowledge of FEM software for bar/beam elements. This is more directed at Joshplum since he has intimate knowledge of RISA 3D although answering my ? may not be possible per any NDA/s (Non-Disclosure Agreement/s).

Is RISA 3D determining actual/real minimum and maximum shear, moment, and deflection values or is it reporting the maximum/minimum values based on end nodes and a set number of reporting stations per member?

I ask as I am trying to work on some less complex programs of my own to be made freely available and have found that at about 20 to 25 reporting stations I am usually capturing the max and mins as long as I include some additional stations for point loads and point moments.I have a couple methods in mind to refine the results to capture the absolute locations of max and mins but the computation time will increase which may be a turn off for end users in terms of how long it takes from them clicking run until results are returned.

Would greatly appreciate any insight that can be provided.

edit: Not looking for a detailed response. Just looking to get a yes absolute max/mins typically determined or No max/mins determined based on set number of reporting stations/coordinates

Open Source Structural Applications:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

charliealphabravo:

I was over-complicating the calculations on my end if you can build the load functions for a beam it's simply a root finding exercise to get the points of max/min values. I now have little doubt that at the least the big name analysis tools are doing absolute max and mins.

Open Source Structural Applications:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back