Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEMA FIRM maps 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pog1

Civil/Environmental
Nov 4, 2003
US
Is there a good place to download FIRM panels? Preferably for free.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have the option to buy the FIRM or download it free at this site:

You must register either way.

There are two types of viewers: Free Viewing and Paid Viewing. Both types permit the user to move the map in any direction (pan), zoom in, zoom out, print,and save the print area. Paid Viewing also allows the user to download the map and supports more sophisticated printing functions, such as custom page sizing, paper orientation, and print scale.

The Free one offers "Firmettes" referred to above, but they are either .tif or .pdf files, neither of which are insertable into AutoCAD or Terramodel. For .gif or .bmp files you can use in CAD software, right-click over the image and select Save Picture As...either one will be a fairly large file, and you will have to rescale it with a viewport and/or insertion manipulation.

But it is free, and we love FREEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

I frequently download the "Firmettes" and then insert them into AutoCAD as a raster images. I have no problem with TIF files. In fact, I know that AutoCAD has supported the TIF format since release 13 (perhaps earlier).

Also, you may want to ask around for scanned FIRMs. We have a Regional Flood Control District, as part of the county government, that has all the county FIRM panels (including those revised by LOMR) available for download for free from their website.

We also use the firmettes. Really great tool when you don't have the actual maps.

As executor said, some county/city agencies also have the maps in digital format. Most cities should also have hard copies of the maps.

Just from experience, be careful if purchasing digital maps from outside companies. We sent money for a CD containing all the maps of our state to a company never to see the CD or our money back. I advise to double check some of the firms to see what their reputation is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back