Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Femap V9.0 Meshing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

foundryboy

Industrial
Oct 16, 2003
NO
Hello All,
I use Femap for meshing in connection with a casting solidification simulation software that I am evaluating for my foundry.

Problem is:
1) A casting consists of the part (fine mesh) attached to the runner (coarse mesh). How to create a mesh of elements in different sizes in one part?
2) The mould (sand) surrounding the casting is large compared to the casting, hence large elements should be used away from the casting surface, but the elements in the mould bording the casting should match the nodes/elements of the casting. How?

Comments appreciated!

Regards
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you not assign attributes to the solids for the part, runners and sand? These attributes can be a mesh size. Then assign a mesh size to the surfaces where the different volumes contact and slave the mesh size.

I'm using 8.3. You can assign mesh size criteria using the options under mesh-mesh control. You can assign a mesh spacing that varies along the length of a curve, or along the edges of a surface for example. This lets you vary the mesh size as you move along geometry.

How do you like 9.0?

If Femap sees the part as a single solid, then you will need to slice match at a convenient break point. Then you can assign different element sizes to the two solids using mesh control > size on solid. You will need to also do mesh controt > size on curve and match the adjoing part curves, or you will get disparate mesh at the joining point (for which you can define contact surfaces with rigid contact).

-
Implantable FEA for medical device manufacturers

Hello all,
starting to know V9.0 a little better. I want to thank everybody for their help. It helped me along and I`ve sorted the meshing problems now!
Again, thanks!

regards
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back