Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fertilizer storage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbbyNormal

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2003
KY
Small facility to store dry fertilizers in bags.

Do not know the exact chemicals to be stored, I would assume the worst would be ammonium nitrate. What special needs from a mechanical, electrical systems point of view.

Spark proof? Change the air frequently?

Take the "V" out of HVAC and you are left with a HAC(k) job.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I tried ASHRAE handbook, closest thing they had was drying crops, I ended up treating the facility like a grain elevator. I must have caught your attention.

AbbyNormal,
Is this facility simply storage of bagged material or will there be mixing and bagging taking place?
The first generates much fewer dust problems than the second.
You may need to contact your local/state OSHA organization to minimize hazards.
The second biggest problem you will have is moisture. Anywhere that dust can go, moisture will follow and consequently corrosion. Dust on floors will draw moisture through the concrete if not properly constructed. I have seen floors with a coating of wet fertilizer become like an ice skating rink. If you are handling bulk materials then the dust will pull sufficient moisture from the air at various times to do the same thing.
Just notes from a former misguided twenty-something.

Griffy

Its all bagged no mixing taking place.

This is in the tropics, year round cooling environment. The environment is salt spray and corrosive already. Similar to what you say, salts make materials hold moisture so no doubt chemical dusts will as well.

No shortage of ambient humidity. There is no local OSHA, I am sure it will hit the fan when it goes in for a building permit, as no such facilty really exists here presently, not a building designed speciifically for this anyways. Will be setting the precedent here.

Every agency will have something to say about this one. I have some decent ventilation proposed, cast aluminum wheels, TEFC motor, fans acually on exterior of building, fan disconnects and starters on the exterior of the building, fresh air louvers doubling as pressure relief, place wired up like a grain elevator, enclosed light fixtures, all switching etc from the 'clean' office space.

Any chance of your suppliers providing input? Don't know if this still holds true but much phosphate and ag nitrogen production took place in the Gulf Coast states from Florida to Texas. I suspect suppliers from this area may have your answers. Just work backwards along your supply chain.

Griffy

If I was the owner of the building I would know who the suppliers are. Most likely they are out of South Florida as you suspect.

I went through all the whimis/hazmat info I could find on the list of what they plan on storing. Passed on the corrosion concerns etc to the sturcutral engineer and the architect. The biggest concern of all the info was not to contaminate ground water.

I am quite sure I already blew their budget on the electrical & mechanical aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back