Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FG200 for stator casting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssbarekar

Mechanical
Mar 18, 2003
IN
Hi,we are motor manufacture we are using FG200 for stator casting,But at low Temprature below minus 40 degree centigrade impact strength is reduce,I want the other casting material which can be use at minus 40 degree centigrade,also for shaft we are using EN8 so at same above condition which is the alternative.also like to know the material for nuts and bolt.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want to improve the fracture toughness at low temperature, then you should consider alloy steels, including stainless steel grades, for the casting. Austenitic stainless steels (Type 304, Type 316, etc.) have excellent toughness even at -40 C. For a shaft material, you should consider grades like EN 24 (now called 817M40 in BS 970) or EN 26 (826M40) for improved toughness at the same hardness level. These steels are also appropriate for low temperature fasteners. ASTM A 320 is an industry standard for low-temperature fasteners, and some of the grades that are referenced for high-strength, quenched & tempered fasteners include:

SAE 4137 (roughly equivalent to EN 19A or 708M40)

SAE 4340 (1.65-2.00 Ni, 0.70-0.90 Cr, 0.20-0.30 Mo, so somewhere between EN 24 and EN 26)

low carbon, boron steel (approximately SAE 10B22 or SAE 15B22 which is similar to BS 3111 grade 9/1). This grade limited to fasteners less than 25 mm in diameter.

sir
It's ok to use stainless steel for stator casting but in that case cost is to high because motor size is large, it's weight my be more then 100 kg
is it possible to use gray cast iron DN 1691-GG 25 or GG-30
can i get impact strength value of this grade at -40 degree centigrade
thanks

Ductile iron has better fracture toughness than grey iron. Ferritic ductile is better than pearlitic ductile iron. DIN EN 1563 is the new standard that replaces DIN 1693. I posted some information on fracture toughness of ductile iron in another thread. You can access it by using the following link:

thread281-49840

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back