Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber draping in ANSYS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpblasques

Marine/Ocean
Nov 24, 2006
DK
Hi all

I am modeling a composite propeller blade in ANSYS and need to work out the fiber draping or fiber orientation or element coordinate system orientation. Has anyone sorted out this problem without resorting to external commercial software like FIBERsim and such?

I have found some literature regarding different algorithms to solve draping problems (like fishnet algorithm) but it does not seem to be that straight forward to implement. Has anyone tried to build their own algorithm (in APDL or external tools like Matlab and such) and then import the results to Ansys?

I know that MSC Patran's Laminate modeler can do this but does anyone knows if it is possible to export element coordinate system orientation from MSC Patran to ANSYS?

I have been having this problem for a long time and I don't know how other ANSYS users solve it. I would be very grateful for any kind of information (even if just a hint :) )

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back