Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) in Drinking Water Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metcorr

Materials
Oct 26, 2006
CA
As part of our engineering design specification, we will be using FRP pipe for the underground drinking water utilities. Can some one guide us if there are any health related hazards in using FPR in drinking water service as undergroung pipeline.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks MintJulep. The manufacturere of FRP says their product is approved for potable water service. What type of check we should make to convince ourselves the product has no health hazards.

You can ask for a complete description of the material, like identity of each component (matrix, reinforcements, coupling agents, etc.), concentration of each, manufacturer of each, etc. You could perform testing on actual parts (like infrared spectrometry, x-ray spectrometry, etc.).

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

"The manufacturere of FRP says their product is approved for potable water service"

You can ask them to provide you with documentation that their product meets NSF 61 ( which it should if they are selling in the US and Canada.

If you have not already done so, and if there are not more applicable international sources, you might want to obtain a copy of AWWA C950 for Fiberglass Pressure Pipe and read what it says (in perhaps at least partial answer to your question). The 2007 version e.g. contains the verbiage,

"4.4.1 Qualification for potable water service. Materials shall comply with the requirements of the Safe Drinking Water Act and other federal requirements.
4.4.2 Certification. Fiberglass pipe intended for use in the transport of potable water shall be evaluated and certified for this use as required by the local
authority.* The seal or mark of the laboratory that evaluates the pipe should be included on the fiberglass pipe.
4.4.3 Gaskets and lubricants. Gaskets and lubricants shall be made from materials that (1) are compatible with the plastic materials and with each other when
used together; (2) will not support the growth of bacteria; and (3) will not adversely affect the potable qualities of water."

As to “if there are any health related hazards” this could be a broader question. While fiberglass piping has been around for many decades and has reportedly been applied to some large projects and particularly in the Third World, I believe it has been used, at least in the USA for municipal buried drinking water piping and for whatever reasons, rather infrequently compared to other types of pipes. I believe one of the newest USA factories I am aware of for producing fiberglass pipes (built in ~2002) may have even encountered rather quickly some sort of environmental issue involving styrene emissions (and maybe even eventual indictments/convictions?) shortly thereafter, and it may have already changed name or ownership etc.

Here are the numbers I got off the neighbors storage tank for their well.

ASTM D3299 and ANS/AWWA D120

There are any number of people that produce fiberglass potable water tanks. I just saw two new ones going into shrimp boats to replace corroded CS tanks. The tanks were made by different companies as the labels were entirely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back