Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FIBER WRAPS FOR RENOVATION OF POWER POLES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sivil

Structural
Jan 7, 2003
US
PROBLEM IS: WE HAVE POWER POLES (ALUMINUM) BURIED IN A CONCRETE DRILLED PIER WHICH OF COURSE OVER TIME THE ALUMINUM HAS DETERIORATED IN SOME CASES DOWN TO JUST 25% OF THE ORIGINAL WALL THICKNESS, THE SOLUTION WAS TO DRILL HOLES EITHER SIDE OF THE EXISTING FOUNDATION, BURY SOME ALUM. CHANNELS NEXT TO THE FOUNDATION SURROUNDED BY CONCRETE, THEN WELD THE ALUM CHANNELS TO THE EXISTING POLE. SINCE I'VE BEEN PULLED INTO THIS MATTER I DON'T AGREE WITH THIS SOLUTION, IT SEEMS TO BE A TEMPERARY FIX SINCE CONCRETE & ALUMINUM AREN'T TO GOOD OF FRIENDS. I'VE HEARD ABOUT THESE FIBER WRAPS AND WAS WONDERING IF THERE WOULD BE A REMEDY FOR MY POWER POLES SOMETHING LIKE WRAPPING THE EXISTING FOUNDATION AND SPIRALING THIS WRAP UP ONTO THE DETERIORATED POLE. CAN SOMEONE DIRECT ME TO A COMPANY THAT SPECIALIZES IN THIS APPLICATION PLEASE? THE CLOSER TO THE SOUTH TEXAS COAST THE BETTER, THANKS
(ABHYSTR-STRUCTURAL, DO YOU HAVE ANY COMMENTS?)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello SIVIL:

Some companies which work whith composite materials are:

There you can find all the information you need. You should also search for "composite materials" or "carbon fibres" by internet. I have worked with this materials and they are really good, despite some limitations.

Two things, 1-Total containment of a concrete column with a fiber wrap makes it impermeable which concrete doesn't like. Contact the manufacturers mentioned and consider a discontiguous wrap to allow the concrete to breath. 2-Due to fire restraints on these systems make sure you deal directly with one of the manufacturers mentioned if this is a problem.

Just wondering about cutting off the tops of the poles and filling with an engineered concrete? I assume highly plastic and chopped glass fibers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back