Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Field Engineer Oil Rigs/Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mototank

Electrical
Sep 20, 2010
Hello All-

So I have been feeling very antsy in my current position as a hardware design engineer for an electronic drive company, and my efforts to move to a different sector in the company, where I feel I could make much better use of my talents and knowledge(and hopefully make more $$ and work harder), have so far not gotten much excitement from the higher ups(mostly because there just aren't a lot of spots for me at this point).

I have been doing lots of thinking about what to do next lately, and keep coming back to a decision I made right out of college, to NOT pursue an opportunity for working as a field engineer for Schlumberger. At the time I was trying to make something work out with a lady friend, and decided it wasn't the most "family/married" life conducive job. That didn't work out and now I feel it is one of the biggest regrets of my life as I think I am very well suited for a job like this.

I am really anxious to get things going in my life, and want to work really hard now while I am still young enough and unmarried to support such a lifestyle. I know that the field engineering positions for such a company are crazy hours and lots of work, but I am more than willing to do that for the next 5 or so years if it affords me better opportunities down the road and allows me to bank some serious $$ in the meantime.

My question is, does anyone have any recent experience in this area or think it is a really risky move based on the current economy? If it is a good idea, any tips on getting my foot in the door as I am no longer a "recent grad" (BSEE March 2007)? Seems like most the positions are either recent grad or mid-career(but I can only assume this means mid-oil-career...am I wrong here?)

Where I am at now, things are very stable, safe and easy, but I am not necessarily looking for that. Instead I am looking to channel my hard work ethic(physical and mental), ambition and "mechanical/mechanics" skills into a job I can be proud I have done and a job that won't leave me bored.

Thanks in advance for all your help here and from other posts. This place is truly a gold mine of information.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My only experience with Schlumberger is from about 27 yrs ago, when oil prices tanked and they transferred a bunch of their "field engineers" to our division, or tried to, anyway. The one guy (EE) I interviewed couldn't engineer his way out of a wet paper bag. This guy operated one of their oil exploration systems, which apparently was a multichannel resistance meter feeding into a computer where canned software did the grunt work.

Unless you're looking at working for the Schlumberger instrumentation group, if it still exists, I think you'd be bored out of your skull 90% of the time.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Mike-
haha...I love swimming and flying, and adrenaline rushes even more :) The schedule doesn't bother me, at least not for a few years I guess.

IRstuff-
That is the first I have heard of that, so thanks for mentioning it. I have heard quite the opposite usually, that they hire only the best and brightest(in practice not necessarily book smart) who are willing to work their butts off...but that is great to keep in mind. Thanks!

I can't speak for Schlumberger, but I have friends who work for BP as field engineers and they say it's incredibly dull. Most of the real work is sub-contracted out so they generally just push paper around approving contracts. They makes tons of money, though.

Have you thought about switching over to an EPC consulting company? The technicians and field engineers work crazy hours in the field fixing all sorts of issues for clients, and make excellent money while they are at it.

Vandal-
EPC? Can you help me out there, not sure what you are referring too, also probably indicating I haven't checked it out :)
Thanks again!

EPC - Engineering, Procurement, and Construction

Key company names (from a trade magazine, no particular order): Jacobs, Foster Wheeler, Bechtel, KBR, Saipem, Samsung Engineering.

Thanks Fegen-
I checked them all out last night for a few hours and they seem interesting...
**On a side note, it is amazing to me how many of these large companies have completely dysfunctional and cumbersome websites and job searches!!**

Anyways, hundreds of jobs to search through which means I am sure there are several thousand applicants, so I guess I need to figure out how to get some positive attention from them...

Thanks again!

Mototank,

Where in the world are you interested in working? I'm guessing in the US but if Canadian by some chance I know that Alberta is pretty hard up for electrical engineers willing to put in field time. The EPC's are gearing up for another boom cycle (the bust here was relatively minor) and are looking to hire.

And you will freeze your a$$ off in Alberta between about Nov and March. Nothing to do but work, sleep, drink, repeat. But the pay is great I understand because of the aforementioned. A 6 pack of beer is about $12 and so are a pack of cigs!!

Other than that - a great place!!!

For the most part even the drinking is eliminated in most project camps these days, too many "issues" would arise. That leaves you with working, eating and sleeping; definitely not the most exciting but after an 11 hour day and half hour bus rides on each side who has much energy left? The money is good though and field experience is one of those check boxes that EPC's like to see marked off.

This is getting a little off-topic, but is there a statute of limitations until the DUI drops off your record, or are you effectively banned for life?

You could always come work the oil patch here in Alaska.

At this point, it is on an individual basis, but they won't really even consider it if it is newer than 5 years. They started to realize how much money they were losing since many fisherman and hunters, well just Americans in general have a DWI. In mn right now, over 12% of the population has a DWI. So now they are supposedly being a little more lienient, but it is a long drive to get to the border and find out the guard doesn't want to let you through. You can pay $$ and apply for an exception, but you aren't guaranteed anything and it costs $300.

I know the Canadians are pretty sticky about US DUI's - but I am not sure if I ever met a sober Canadian - go figure....

I do know that it can be "ironed" out - given enough time and money!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back