Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Field/Inspection Kit Contents

Status
Not open for further replies.

theonlynamenottaken

Structural
Jan 17, 2005
US
Trying to put together a nice field/inspection kit for site visits and investigations (analysis). Here's what I have so far... suggestions would be appreciated.

Pelican Case
Level
Plumb Bob
Geologists Pick/Hammer
Multi-Screwdriver
Knife
30'Tape Measure
100'-200' Cloth Tape
Fillet Weld Gauges
Flashlight/Headlight
Calipers
Scraper/Wire Brush
Digital Camera
Crack Gauge
Grease Pencils
Locking Pliers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A good solid pair of leather gloves and a 3 pound fiberglass handle hammer. A must for smashing through drywall, tile, etc. to find that column or beam. Dont forget eye protection.

did anyone mention rubber boots or tick/insect repellent?

If you're doing bridge inspection, shovel, pick, and large ice scapper could come in handy for cleaning bridge seats, pier caps, etc.

If you're going to be exposed to bird s--t, a Tyvek suit, respirator, and disposable gloves are a must.

connect2: My 3 foot bolt cutters have come in handy on several occasions since they open most locks.

BridgeBuster,
I'm absolutely sure the bolt cutters have come in handy, today though i showed up at a site where we are removing several chillers and cooling towers from a highrise mechanical penthouse and when i opened the trunk, the only thing i found was one of my boys hockey equipment, should have put his helemt on though because now i have a nasty cut on my head. I'm sure by now someone has mentioned a hard hat as part of the inspection 'kit'. I've always found, after years of inspection, that no matter what I'm 2 inches two short, any suggestions for that, as well these progressive lenses i have in my glasses distort everything. Its relly difficult as you walk through a building to line anything up visually, constantly bobing my head around because everything looks out of plumb. Hahaha fun post for a friday night.

connect2: I have progressive lenses also but they don't distort my vision. My problem is they don't very well for distancen; they don't work very well for close-up reading either. Perhaps I should use those 3-foot bolt cutters on the idiot optometrist.

A couple other "must-haves":

An otoscope (even a cheap one thru Edmund's Scientific catalog, for under $20.) allows looking into a crack a short distance to see debris, etc.

A 7X magnifying comparator also from Edmund's(nothing better for measuring cracks)

A 4' long digital level (reads in "/', % and degrees)available from Lowes and Home Depot (I don't get everything from Edmund's).

Miner's type head lamp for hands free note taking

Hand cleaner or wipes, old towels, and an extra pair of shoes for driving (for when you return to the vehicle)after you have gotten muddier than you expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back