Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Field Pump Performance Test 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cderin2000

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2013
NG
Hello everyone, I work on a FPSO as a Mechanical Tech. I need help on how to conduct performance tests on our pumps as a means of condition monitoring. I've read several books but they explain shop tests under close to ideal situations; this is not practical for me. We have several pumps (Framo, Sulzer, Finder etc.) for different process fluids. Kindly help me with practical field performance test solutions or good explanatory books to read. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Provided you have means to measure flowrates and pressures, you can check whether a pump has moved off its curve, preferably by recording the flow at a few different pressures. Pressure readings need to be adjusted back to pump centreline values, and adjustment made to the target values to account for viscosity and density.
Calculating power draw from motor amps can also provide a clue to performance issues.
Even though not under ideal shop conditions, it's not going to be hugely different provided you can measure the various parameters - pressure, flow, fluid properties, volts, amps.

Provided the pump is not on a VFD and the head is constant even just regularly recording the flow(rate and total) the pressure and hours run can allow you over time to analyse the pump performance and whether or not it is changing or deteriorating.
For example if you have the ability to record flow total and hours run you can calculate flow per hour. As the pump wears this figure would probably reduce.
Its basic and unless the pumps are in a high wear environment then it may take years of data to show much of a trend. But its also cheap and easy and does not require much equipment.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Ashtree makes a good point, and you need to be more specific with your request and explain the application/s - constant operation and thru' put, clean liquor / solids etc. In some applications a pump might well run for years without any change of performance, others only months. From plant history, only a few if any units may need regular checks.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back