Fiji wind load

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelnz2003

Civil/Environmental
Dec 21, 2007
NZ
Hi
I am suppose to design for wind in Fiji to resist cyclonic wind load.

Any idea about wind pressure or local standards I notice they use the AS standards.

I used the AS 4055 table 3.3 as guidance and it provided a value of 8kPa

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds about right. Wellington NZ has typical values for ULS windloads around 4.5kPa right? Welly is not on a cyclone path.

Fiji is likely to get pounded by a cyclone every now and then.

I don't think so. Not familiar with AS 4055, but have done a lot of work in North Queensland tropical cyclone territory. 8 kPa is extremely high, maybe something like tornadoes create.

8kPa is for Wind Class C4.

Capture_avs1ee.jpg

That class C4 only occurs in Severe Tropical Cyclone regions of northern Western Australia. But note that 8 kPa only applies at the corner of walls, and the roof pressures are even higher.

The attachment has some good graphical description of how that code is applied, and I think could be extrapolated in part to Fiji conditions, but it would require local knowledge.

Indeed, the loads shown/quoted at 8kPa are within 1200mm of wall corners - but this 1200mm stems from the geometric limitations of the AS4055 standard. Depending if your structure fits these limits, 1200mm may or may not be adequate. You would need to consult AS1170.2, from which AS4055 derived stated pressures. Hokies link is useful in determining base wind speeds (i.e. equivalent to C3, C4 etc... if you like for documentation purposes), you then need to assess the geometry of the building/structure to determine appropriate coefficients at various locations on the building/structure to determine pressures.

Toby

American-Micro here, so I don't know much about the AS codes but have an interest in projects on the islands. Are you referencing the Fiji National Building Code at all? I know it's a dated code but it makes sense to me to stick to the building code adopted by the AHJ, doesn't it? I believe their wind load section references AS1170.

Judgement-In-Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back