Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

File management set-up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

draftsman101

Aerospace
Dec 3, 2006
US
Please let me know if this is not the correct place to post this.

I have been given the job of setting up our office. My company is small and have never used a server system, pdmworks or anything like it. We are currently using an intra-net. We are expanding, moving to a building that we just built. I need some advice on what I need to do as far as file management goes.

What kind of filing set up do I need ( i.e. standard file names)?

What type of naming system is best? I have done some searches on what kind of system to use in naming files, but still have no clue.

We are going to set up a server and us pdmworks with stand along computers for the entire company.

Thank you in advance

B. Long
Dell Precision 380
P 4 2.80 GHz
2.5 Gig Ram
Solidworks Office 2007 Sp. 2.2
AutoCAD 2005

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Exceptional thread I though. I think we covered just about every angle of numbering systems and more (i.e CAD standards).

I should quit my job and become a numbering system consultant.

Kevin Carpenter
CAD Systems Administrator
Invacare Corp.

That is a great thread and I am still reading it.

Thanks

B. Long
Dell Precision 380
P 4 2.80 GHz
2.5 Gig Ram
AutoCAD 2005

My advice is PLAN a system, and TEST it. By that I mean try to think of scenarios which will violate rules you have in place. When ever a rule is violated in a file system, a workaround is the result. A very tight system will quicky deteriorate into chaos when workarounds are accepted. So propose a system that covers all areas of SolidWorks use in your company. This does require compromise in areas, but we are all designers, and we know that compromise is inevitable. Above all, set up a system that can grow, and can handle the things that you might do in the future. It is a bad thing to argue against an idea in your company because you know your SW setup will not be able to cope with the change.
Having said the above, I will tell you what we do at our company - 5 SW seats. We use 5 digit insignificant numbering. I strongly recommend this, even though the significant number idea sounds like good adea. We save our files in numbered folders,100 numbers each, so saving and finding a file is a piece of cake. parts assemblies and drawings can be saved in the same folder because they have different extensions. We do not use a PDM product, we don't allow configuration to change part 12345 into 12346. This does cost us in ease of use, but anyone trying to manage SW parts or assemblies with 5+ configurations knows that while it is possible, it also can cuase a lot of headaches. So it isn't good or bad, we have just decided that we never use a configuration to turn a part into some thing else. My point is not to say one way is good and another bad, but that what ever you do MAKE SURE IT WORKS< AND WILL WORK IN THE FUTURE. Good luck.

Every thing gwubs says go for us and our set-up. We have a few minor differences but he hits the high points.

1)Insignificant part numbers.

We are a totally different company then we were five years ago. Our system is flexible to take on any product mix or size of project we have.

2 No configurations that manage part numbers.

The headaches that can be created from configurations from in-experience or carelessness out weighed their benifits for us. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
SW 2007 SP4.0, WinXP
Dell Precision 380, Pentium D940, 4 Gigs RAM, FX3450

I also concur with gwubs and Anna, although I might suggest using more than 5 digits. Most systems I've seen use 7 digits including our own. When I started here 16+ years ago we were in the 1009XXX's and today we're into the 1220XXX's. Allow for room to grow, exponentially.

Kevin Carpenter
Invacare Corp.

Bear in mind that by using a numerical part numbering system, you're not limited to the number of digits (except maybe by your ERP/MRP system). I worked for a company that started with P/N 1000. By the time I left, and after 30 years in business, they'd hit 6 digits. A P/N is a placeholder, nothing more. The description that is tied to the number is what's important. It doesn't make sense to have 1111XXX if you don't need to. Someone, at some point, is going to screw that up. When you hit 9999, the next P/N is simply 10000. Just my $.02...

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

I will be implementing pdmworks from the get go.

B. Long
Dell Precision 380
P 4 2.80 GHz
2.5 Gig Ram
AutoCAD 2005

Jeff,
While I do agree that the part number itself should simply roll over to the next new one (i.e. 9999 -> 10000), I'm simply saying to leave room to grow. One could choose to either show the leading 0's or not if the scheme is say 7 digit numbers. There's nothing saying he couldn't start at the 1000 mark and run with it. He could start at 1000000 just as easily, but he'd have ample room starting here. We also have one wacky business unit that insisted on having their own set of numbers. OK, you get to use 2000000 numbers while everyone else uses 1000000 numbers. Some what significant, but only by a certain division. Nothing is set in stone and things can be adapted.

Whatever happens, draftsman101 will still be ahead of the game today and in the future.

Kevin Carpenter
Invacare Corp.

One point that I've heard in similar discussion is to have all part numbers be the same length so that if a character is added/dropped while entering a part number on an order, shop traveler, invoice, etc. the error is more glaring. This would be one reason to start with 8 digit numbers rather than starting with 4 and rolling over into the 5 digit numbers.

I think that I will go with a 7 digit semi-significant numbering system. We are in the aviation buisness and we will be working on two major projects, but we also will be continuing the work that we currently do which is vintage plane restoration. In that area I sometimes have to come up with something to replace what is existing and will give it a new part number for our files only.

Thank you for all the responses so far.

Just to let you know, right now when I create a part I just call it what it is; i.e. wing, vertical, horizontal, rudder, main gear and so on.

B. Long
Dell Precision 380
P 4 2.80 GHz
2.5 Gig Ram
AutoCAD 2005

If you're going to be using a PDM system I would strongly suggest not using even semi-significant numbers. It just a number, your PDM will manage everything that makes your drawings and models unique/similar. It's always difficult to get away from adding something to the part number that identifies it in some way. Please don't fall into this trap, let the PDM system do what it was meant to do...manage your data. It can manage your projects, where used, composed of, additional documentation links, etc.

Kevin Carpenter
Invacare Corp.

Let me explain what I am meaning by semi-significant. We have a vintage aircraft side so I will asign 100.0000-199.9999 numbers to the vintage parts. We will be working on at least 2 different aircraft mabe 3. I will asign 200.000-299.9999 to one of the other aircraft and 300.0000-399.9999 to the other. I know that we will not be working on more than 9 different airplane programs. That is going to be the only significance to the part #'s.

None of the airplanes that we are working on are new. They are existing airframes that we will be modifying. So there for I will not have every little part that makes up the airplane in my computer, just the parts that make up our modification.

Does that sound like a bad idea?

B. Long
Dell Precision 380
P 4 2.80 GHz
2.5 Gig Ram
AutoCAD 2005

Thank you for the explanation. Now IMO, I would still steer clear of this numbering scheme. Here's why, as of right now you know that you won't be working on more than 9 airplane programs. What happens in say 10+ years and the owner says he wants to add 3 new programs. Now how will the numbering system work then? I would suggest creating unique projects for each airplane program and then as you create parts/asms/drawings from a running non-sig. part number list you vault/link them to the appropriate project(s).

You could have a simple 3 digit project numbering system or use the make and model of the aircraft you're retrofitting as the project name/number. Remember the PDM can do more than just vault and manage your files. It can also hold information outside of what would be on drawings or in models. I might sound somewhat stubborn regarding my view point but it's because of what I've seen and know about PDM/PLM systems. Part numbers are just one piece of the PDM puzzle. I can offer you some off forum one on one time if you'd like to help you (or anyone else) any way I can. Just let me know.

Kevin Carpenter
Invacare Corp.

Kevin,

Thank you for you input. I might take you up on that when the time comes to actually implement pdmworks.

My boss just told me that I should mimic what the military does for the part numbering system because we will be working with military contracts.

Again Thank you.

B. Long
Dell Precision 380
P 4 2.80 GHz
2.5 Gig Ram
AutoCAD 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back