Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

file mgt. with laptops 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhan76

Civil/Environmental
May 16, 2002
US
We are having a problem with file management. Laptop users copy an active file to their computer to work on the road. The person back in the office has no idea of this and adds data to the file on the desktop. Now there are 2 files with new info. Any ideas out there on how to manage this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What program ?

For instance, Word will allow you to merge the files, and then you have to clean up.

We have employees that take files out of the office to rename the file with a name and date added to the file name so we do not overwrite a file that has been worked on. He will know if it has been worked on by checking the date of the file under last saved, etc.

Best way to handle it is to give them remote access to files. Dial up's are slow but at least it is portable to where ever they go. Hotels now days usually have internet access, and most people already have it at home. I think you can even get access through a cell phone if the person is really on the go.

I have done this myself with AutoCAD. What I do is copy the file to my laptop, or now days to the USB memory stick (for working on the home PC) and then start a new AutoCAD drawing. I then reference the copied file to my new file, and begin designing.

When I get back to the office, I take the data in my new AutoCAD file and copy and paste it into the file that is on the server, (using copybase at 0,0) so any changes that were done in my absense are not over written.

This process is quicker than remote dial up, and you don't have to worry about getting a connection or lines down etc...

USB memory sticks are about $40.00 and connect instantly. Mine holds 128MB.

Hope that helps,

I tried this. I must be doing it wrong because when I pasteclipped back into the drawing it inserted both the new material that I added and the existing material. It basically placed the copied lines on top of the existing lines. The only way that I know to stop this is to make a new layer for each added object but this would be a nightmare to manage all of the new layers.

TrafficDesigner:
What kind of drawings are you doing that you are able to do something as simple as copy paste. That would not work with typical architectural or structural drawings. It would be too confusing.

I still think the best way to do it with less chances of errors is to connect to your company's network. Otherwise you risk having a big "oops" show up unless you micro-manage the files.

USB Memory sticks are awesome though. If you don't have one you should go get one. I've had mine since back before people had even heard of them. They are the best way for fast transfer of files/data.

Most of what I do is design the road for access into the site. Weather it's a subdivision or in most cases a shopping center. I design the median breaks, or left in only's driveway access and site circulation. Then I hand my file off to the Architect or the Civil and they produce the plans from my design.

The largest files I work with would be a striping plan or a signal plan.

I have cut and pasted entire shopping centers before though. My system handles it fine. The key to using copy paste is layer control. You have to know what layer your putting your stuff on and stay consistant. I use a program I wrote to do this, so no matter what project I'm on the layers are always the same.

What you can do is isolate the old line work and delete it from your file before you paste the new line work in. Usually the only overlaps of lines that I have is where I am matching back into curb and gutter.

Dial ups will work too, but you have to really trust the person using it. We ran into files mysteriously getting deleted, and had to limit the access to only a few people that REALLY understood the remote software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back