Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File prompts for Save even if there are no changes made NX 11.0.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

biw01

Automotive
Dec 31, 2011
US
Hello Everyone,

I have an assembly on which I run a custom NXOpen application. At the end, I am doing a programmatic Save All. NX is prompting me to save certain read-only files which I am not even touching inside my program. On checking the Part Modification History Information -> Part -> Modification, I do not see any modifications made to these particular parts in the current unsaved version. Am I missing something?

Any clue on what is getting updated in the parts that are prompting for a save? I did verify that no extra attributes are added on the part, component, body or at any topology level as well.

Please help!

Thanks,
AM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you, Jerry. This issue has been driving me nuts since past 2 days and I finally thought someone in this forum might have an answer to my pain.

I don't intend to sound condescending but Save All doesn't imply "save all MODIFIED files" - it implies "save all OPEN files". I believe this is a standard command in some other Windows applications where using it would save every open file. NX muddies the waters of that concept a bit by having assemblies, partially loaded files, etc.

From the NX11 documentation:

"Save All

Use this command to save all open parts and top-level assembly parts. This also saves parts that are open but not displayed, but it does not include partially open parts, such as assembly components."

Without going into an explanation that might get overly confusing, I've resorted to only using File -> Save Work Part and it's mainly due to how I've noticed NX determines what is a modified part over the years. That determination is not solely based on whether you've made a physical change to the file - just using File -> Export -> PDF can cause NX to mark a file as modified and could prompt another save type command to save a file that was never modified the way in which we're referring. I've also experienced files just being opened up causing them to be flagged as modified up in the Window Title area or in the Assembly Navigator showing as Out of Date and I have to use Assemblies -> WAVE -> Associativity Manager to get that clock icon to disappear from the Assembly Navigator.

For me, Save Work Part removes any doubt from the equation - but it also takes a bit longer than I'd prefer. I'm sure other users have their own preferences - but that's what works best given my situation.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP8
GM GPDL 11-A.3.3
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Biw010 said:
I am doing a programmatic Save All. NX is prompting me to save certain read-only files which I am not even touching inside my program
You are touching them in your programming...You are telling NX to SAVE ALL... :)

Why not use the Normal Save... This saves only modified parts in an assembly structure.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

I tried the normal save. This is the code that is working in my case

Code:
Sub sSavePart()
        Dim objPartSaveStatus As PartSaveStatus = Nothing
        For each objPart As part In FnGetNxSession.Parts()
            'Check if the part is modified
            If FnGetUFSession.Part.IsModified(objPart.Tag)
                objPartSaveStatus = objPart.Save(BasePart.SaveComponents.True,BasePart.CloseAfterSave.False)
                objPartSaveStatus.Dispose()
           End If
        Next
End Sub

Thanks,
Amitabh Mukherjee

I am on 12.0.2 and it has been doing that for a looooong time. I inquired with GTAC a long time ago about the issue and i think it just isn't that big a priority to address. I do modeling and drafting but mostly manufacturing. Almost every manufacturing part I open prompts to save because it thinks something has changed and it is annoying but I mostly ignore it now.

NX 12.0.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back