Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File "cannot be saved"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProDarwin

Automotive
Oct 10, 2006
US
I appear to be having a problem similar to this thread:
I was editing a draft file, and just received this message:

(Can I embed images into my posts?)

I've tried saving to the network drive, my desktop, changing names, etc. Nothing seems to work. The file-path listed in the error is the same regardless of where I try to save it. It looks like somehow the file became read-only while I was working on it. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Usually get these problems when the link to the server gets broken.
Sometimes you are lucky and SE lets you save, but more often you are stuffed.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Yeah, likely a network issue of some type.

It can I believe also be a memory issue though I can't swear to it - I think that's why in the link you posted shaded without edges would allow them to save - it uses less memory than shaded with edges.

You could try copying and pasting the content of the file to a new .dft but I'm not optimistic that would work.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Its a 20+ page draft... copying everything would be quite tedious. I checked my memory and was using < 4 gigs.

I ended up just eating the lost time and opening the previous save. Guess its time to register with GTAC and start reporting all of these errors I'm having.

Do that, also, while it may be time consuming with a 20 page draft (assembly instruction per chance?) saving after every significant change becomes an issue.

On the memory, while I don't claim to understand the details all 4GB can't be used by a single application. I think they're limited to 2GB unless you put in some variation of the '3GB switch'. Even then, it's limited to 3GB so you could well have run out of memory available to that application.

Windows tends to have memory leaks which are exacerbated by large assembly or draft files. So you may need to restart your machine a few times a day.

We got a couple of 64bit, 16 GB ram machines for working on large draft files/draft files of large assemblies.

I do find that restarting often helps. This is a 64 bit machine with 8 gigs of memory, but < 4gigs were used - that's why I thought I had plenty available.

I got the 'out of memory, Solid Edge must close' error yesterday but task manager reported less than 1GB used out of 3GB total physical memory.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

I seem to remember that dbl clicking on a drawing view and entering the model, then immediately closing the model would sometimes "fix" the problem.

Ken

Kenat: can you elaborate on the "3GB Switch"? I had ST2 give me the low memory error yesterday with <3 gigs used total.

On a related note, is Solid Edge 64 bit capable of using more of the 8 gigs I have available?

Do a search on here, Don Young and others have posted about he 3GB in more detail than I can give you.

With 64 bit windows/SE should be able to use a lot more than than 8GB as I understand it. We have 16 on our 2 "super PC's" and I think it makes use of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back