Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File renaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aikon

Mechanical
Jan 18, 2004
EE
Hello,UG gurus!

I'm asking this question first in here and maybe afterwards in UG BBS.
In UGII directory there is ug_edit_part_names which you can use to rename parts and to list references.Since almost everyone suggests using master model approach for performance reasons(separate file for drawing) I'm unable to locate drawing file and rename master file using above mentioned utility.
Any explanations or suggestions?
Hopefully problem is understandable.

Regards,
Henry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you want a "where used..." report. Look up "where used" in the assemblies help file and it will give you all the details.

You may want to check out Cloning the assembly, you have the option of briging along the associted files. You can use the Dry Run and Log to rename components how you want, or you can choose the 'assign new numbers' option.

Hi,
I think Cloning can only pick up non-masters (drawings) under Teamcenter Engineering (IMAN). Under straight native NX you are out of luck.

If you have a standard naming convention; i.e. you can infer the drawing name given the model name, you could write a routine to automatically open drawings for a model or an entire assembly of models. Then you could use the free "Save All As" utility I wrote (see to rename all loaded parts.

Cheers,
-MikeN
SolidNX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back