Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

File Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

wes616

Aerospace
Mar 19, 2005
US
Just to get an idea, what are the file sizes that people are working on.

I have a slddrw that is 102 MB and I'm only about 2/3 of the way through. I am experiencing a number of problems, like maxing out my 3GB memory, graphics can take up to 5 minutes to refresh. and It takes me about 13 minutes to open the drawing.

I have done everything I can think of to optimize the drawing, so that isn't the issue... and am not really looking for help.. just to see where others are at.

Wes C.
------------------------------
There are no engineers in the hottest parts of hell, because the existence of a 'hottest part' implies a temperature difference, and any marginally competent engineer would immediately use this to run a heat engine and make some other part of hell comfortably cool. This is obviously impossible.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That could indicate Corruption in hte file when it gets that big, but also it could mean you are adding to much detail to your files... like a Helix is a prime example of complexity.

Do you have more the 300 mates in your assembly? you should not have more then that in any assembly.

Check out my Assembly mates and best Practices FAQ.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Hi Scott, Probablly over 700 in my assembly. It's an installation drawing, and I needed (am required) to show each fastener (detail)... on top of that... the tree goes 7 or 8 layers deep until you get to parts in some cases... which makes editing a friggin nightmare...

Wes C.
There are no engineers in the hottest parts of hell, because the existence of a 'hottest part' implies a temperature difference, and any marginally competent engineer would immediately use this to run a heat engine and make some other part of hell comfortably cool. This is obviously impossible.

You need to reduce your Top Level Assy Mates to 300 max. Just a rule of thumb, but it works.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I would love to guys, but I don't really know how. Adding more layers of complexity to this model is going to make it virtually impossible for anyone to edit, when the inevidable changes need to be made.

I'd love to not show the fasteners (which there is something like 2500 in the model, but the POINT of this drawing is to show the fasteners.

Anyway, the model works fine, it's just the drawing that gives me a headache. It is working, but it is so slow.

example of tree

Note that the design calls for each of these componets to be on the SAME LEVEL of drawing, and the drawing requires me to show the details of how the parts are installed into the airplane (fasteners are required to be shown).

Simply put 2 panels are attached to the interior of the airplane and are screwed together, and to the airplane. I have to show this on the drawing.

Which right now looks something like this....

Top Assy
sub assembly of system
sub assembly of panel
sub assembly of extrusions
extrusion
extrusion
extrusion
sub assembly of sheet metal parts
sheet metal part
sub assembly of panels
panel
panel
sub assembly of fasteners
fastener sub assembly(1)
screw
nutplate assembly
nutplate
rivet
rivet
linear pattern 1
fastener sub assembly (2)
screw
washer
insert
linear pattern 1
linear pattern 2

now multiply this by 60X

Wes C.

Do you realy need to show all detail in the top level assembly?

Can't you crate configurations where you supress details that you don't nedd to show?

Regards

I'm with Wes. I either suppress parts/assys or make them lightweight in top level assys with configs.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Can you really see the threads of a screw on the whole assembly view considering how many parts there are? I have 2 configs for all my screws (from toolbox); 1 config shows the threads, and the other config without the threads.

Sometimes I HAVE to show threads on a screw. I use the assembly config with the threaded screws when zoomed in. If you can't see the threads when zoomed out, I use the simplified screws. Not all views have the threads shown because some of them just look like a blob of lines.

Flores
SW 2005 SP 4.0

How many sheets are there?

we have some drawings that are 17-20 sheets but they are each individual files.

If that helps any

Ed Hulse
Sr. Designer/DBWorks Admin

macPT - Yes, I do need the detail in this assembly, since this is where I am required to show how the assembly is put together (and required in detail).

As far as configurations, I do have a few sub assemblies that have configs w/o fasteners, but because they keep are now so deep down in the tree, it has become to time consuming to use them. (needing to create 3 or 4 layers of configurations each time I need to "see" something.

smcadman - the only parts of the screw that I show is the shaft (no threads) and the head (cross recess) they are all made in 2 parts.... 1. Revolve to define the outer surface 2. Extrude cut to define the recess (phillips or flat).

Ed - It will probablly turn out to be something like 15+ sheets.

I now am doing 1 drawing / 1 sheet. IT IS REALLY DIFFICULT. I thought computers were supposed to make our lives simpler... I guess I need a 2GB graphics card, and 12 GB of Memory... :-D

oh well,.. thanks for your help guys.

Wes C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back