Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fill Patterns, Margins, looking for a way

Status
Not open for further replies.

baniels

Industrial
Jul 16, 2012
US
Hello Folks,

Fill patterns. I really do like these, but there is one thing I wish it would do. Maybe it does, but I can't seem to find it.

Here is a simplified example. The first picture shows a 3/4" board, 22x22". Within the blue line boundary I will be adding a fill patterns of circle cuts.

boundary.jpg

After sizing and spacing the cut pattern as desired, this is the result when using no margins. The holes stop before they would touch or over-run the boundary. Makes sense, in a lot of cases, I can see this being appropriate.

with-no-margin.jpg

My goal, however, is to have the pattern of circles continue over the boundary, but be cut off by the boundary. Setting a one inch margin yields this:

1-inch-margin.jpg

Wanting to keep all the material intact outside the boundary, I do a boss-extrude between the perimeter and the boundary.

boss-extrude.jpg

And I arrive at my goal.

goal.jpg

The problem is that performing this post-pattern extrusion isn't possible or practical in many cases. I am hoping there is another way to go about this - Is there a way to achieve this in fewer steps? I have explored the Fill Pattern property manager and haven't come across such a setting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That wouldn't work, because the boundary shape won't always be so simple, nor will the pattern evenly approach the boundary on all sides.

Mr B What are you trying to do? Make a consistant pattern from the center out, or from the buondry/ edges in? How are you going to cut the sharp corners on the 1/2 circle pieces? Where is the trade off acceptible? From what you describe ,there probibly will be a trade off some where, to physically get what you want.

I believe the method you are using is the best for now. Submit an ER for the ability to 'truncate' the pattern at the boundary if this is something you will do often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back