Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filler electrode for repair welding of Tool steel S5 or 06

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamy08

Materials
Feb 24, 2017
PK
I am going to buildup on tool steel s5/06 for repair purposes, i have limited option of using electrodes which includes E8018-B2L and E12018M. I have also E309 and inconel.

From my point of view in order to have good tensile strength i should use E12018M or E8018-B2L (2nd preference).

Please give your suggestions. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I looked through my references on tool steels, but didn't find anything for S5. Can you provide additional information such as the manufacturer, tradename, application, state of heat treatment, or chemistry?

Most die repairs I have been associated with are welded with GTAW. I have seen SMAW and FCAW used for large forging dies.

Best regards - Al

Its hardened tool steel. chemical composition close to S5 and O6. Hardness is near 50 HRC.

Mostly SMAW is used in our industry for welding. The part is rotor and its very small. thickness of build up is 7 to 9 mm on dia of 10 mm.

Contact these guys
They've helped me out in the past with custom stainless steel formulations.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back