Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filler Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

greencircle

Mechanical
Nov 19, 2014
US
Is it possible (recommended ?) to weld Aluminum Diecast (A360) & Aluminum Extrusion (6061 T6)? I tried to Google filler recommendation, couldn't find one for this combination.
When tried welding with filler 4043, even tough joint looks good, we noticed severe corrosion & crack overtime.

On the first had I want to see if these 2 alloys are OK to be welded.

Thanks,
GC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Weld failure between two different alloys (ANY alloys, and your aluminum is only an example) is very dependent on type of loads (compression, fatigue/cyclical), extreme sudden loads, or steady tension or torsion if a corrosive atmosphere or fluid is present. Dependent on weld shape and joint geometry, welder technique, and whether or not that particular welder at that particular time in that particular joint actually followed the weld procedure properly. Sometimes the weld itself is fine, but the joint design allows pockets where corrosive products build up and stress corrosion cracking occurs.

How did you qualify (test) the weld procedure and all of its parameters?

You appear to be making an assumption it is filler material, but you may not have examined all of the other causes thoroughly.

May be its a combination of reasons for failure. Unfortunately I can't post the pictures because I don't own them all. I have asked for permission; hope to post them soon. Here is more information based on few comments here. Application is definitely a corrosive environment (by sea shore). obviously there is salty mist & humid wind.

I can see per this chart that 360/A360 aren't even on the weldable base materials. So I suspect that its a incorrect fusion altogether.

Thanks,
GC

gtaw,

I've always said 'plastic is not a real material, and aluminum is not a real metal'. Oh, and anything under ¾" thick is sheet metal.
[wink]

"If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to repair it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back