Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

filter out all but UV light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bergg

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2003
CA
Hi:

I am trying to find a light filter for a comsumer product design that will absorb all light except blue and UV light. This is an attempt to hide a a Si solar cell so it is not visible to the eye but will permit conversion of light energy.

Would like to find a find a filter manufacturer to work with as well.

Thanks

Bergg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Given that Silicon's response usually peaks around 600-700 nm, why would you want to give up that much conversion efficiency?

Particularly since the eye's response goes down to around 400 nm, you'd need to filter out probably over 70% of the available energy.

TTFN

Thanks for the reply. My understanding is that a Si responds to light in the blue and UV range. So was wondering if I could filter out the other wavelengths of light that did not have enough energy to cause the electrons to move.

Probably too much to ask but !!!!

Additionally, since the eye response goes well into the blue, a bright enough ambient will still allow the observe to see through the filter.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back