Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Filtering mud out of compressed air lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregorybosma

Mining
Mar 15, 2019
US
I have a problem on mining equipment where an air solenoid valve is sticking on a 250 cfm shotcrete nozzle. In the mine, the 1" compressed air line is often dragged and submerged in mud before connecting to truck-mounted equipment. Despite our best efforts in training miners to blow air through the hose before connecting, that step is often overlooked and anything inside the hose ends up in the system.

The system can often see roughly a pint of water, dirt, rocks, and whatever else was scooped into the hose. Is there some sort of filtration/separation/trap system that can handle this, still allow 250 cfm to pass through, and require maintenance of at most once per shift?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe try a hydraulic flat faced quick coupler. It won't trap debris, is easy to clean before connecting.

Screenshot_20221216_064045_Chrome_zcjd3y.jpg

That'll get rid of most of it.

For the rest of it, I'm guessing I'll need an air-water separator. And if I don't want the drain to clog, I'll need a filter upstream of it. Is that right?

What fittings are you using currently? I assume it's the Chicago 2 lug type couplings. I don't suggest anything "quick release" as the mud will jam up the mechanisms.

There are plugs available for your hose. Attach one to each end with lanyards to keep near the point of use.

Do add a Y-strainer to your tool at the point of connection to catch the big stuff. You can install a blow down valve on the Y-strainer to purge water from the hose before sending air to the tool.

Put the male half of the coupler on the hose. It's easy enough to wipe clean. Put the sleeved female half on the machine up out of the muck.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back