Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filters downstream of steam dispersion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggbenny

Mechanical
Aug 11, 2008
US
I am looking for what is an acceptable practice for use of filters after a steam humidification dispersion coil. Current design calls for 90% filters downstream of the steam but this would seam to promote mold on the filters. If you use filters downstream of the coil is there an acceptable distance? My preferance woiuld be to put the filters upstream of the coil but I am told that we cannot changge it at this point.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

24" is standard practice. If I understand your steam dispersion coil there isnt steam in the air stream so mold should not be a factor.

Humidifier manufacturers have different absorption distances. You want at least 3 feet for any of these; more for some. You also may want to look into a wet-laid media versus a standard filter. For example, the Farr Rigflo can be replaced by an Aerostar (or is it Aeropac? - look up) for the same cost but can better handle wetness. The high limit humidistat should be set pretty low (e.g., 75%) when filters follow humidifiers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back