Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparweb

Aerospace
May 21, 2003
CA
At last, I solved a model of something - anything - on my own. Whether the results are realistic is still anyone's guess!
Still pushing buttons robotically in some places, but at least I now know the training course wasn't a waste.
The result below took about 20 tries, starting over with the same STEP file imported again... and again...

535000019-141_FINALLY_vu8uxj.png

So while FEMAP certainly isn't a user-friendly environment, a determined user can learn to use it.

For those considering it, the 3-day Intro To FEMAP training course given by Siemens is good to get you started using the software (knowing where all the buttons are) but really doesn't prepare you for doing any actual analysis work. That's just too much to ask of a course that only takes 3 days. I'd like to do more training, but I believe I've tapped out the budget the company can spend on me for this year. :)

STF

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For those not interested in following an external course: type following the examples in the example section. It's free and gives very good examples for most of the options of modelling.

Good guess.
Actually on the bottom face it has 5 pinned fastener holes, and then I added circular "washers" around the rivet holes where the rivet heads would be, to clamp it down with surface constraints.
Then I applied 5 equal loads in the Y direction in the rivet holes on the vertical flange. No other loads or constraints.
Basically, I was testing to see if I gave it a trivial shear clip model, such as Bruhn D3.1, would I get a result I would expect.
I was pleased to see the distortion of the upper flange. It's the kind of thing I can miss in hand calcs but is always there.

STF

Sparweb,

You will be amazed at how much content you can find on the web by searching for "Femap Tutorials" in Google search and YouTube videos.

Good luck.

Thanks. I've been using many of the built-in tutorials, so far with success. But don't get paid to solve the built-in tutorials.

BTW, I think my "finally" comment wasn't clear. Pushing buttons to get a pre-arranged result is easy.
Starting a problem from scratch and getting to a believable solution, all on my own... that's what "finally" worked.

STF

I am trying it with all sorts of elements, exploring the differences.
I don't yet have a good grounding in what the different element types are for.
Trying it again with a hex mesh would be interesting.

STF

Hi
Personally I would have used plate elements. Then the model would have been fairly easy to create. Not that it is overwhelning in volume elements, I just could not see the reason.

But testing and learning, that is a good reason [smile]. You actually mentioned that in your first post but I read that post to fast. Sorry.

Good Luck

Thomas

Generally for bending and such you need a couple of solid elements through the thickness to get a result that is close to what you can achieve with shell elements.

Thanks everyone.
I'm not getting much time to practice. The company paid for only 1 seat, and currently FEMAP is being used by the senior analyst here, pretty much all day every day.
So I can only sneak in at off-hours.

STF

I agree with Arnie in that you can get a 45-Day free trial of Femap or contact a Femap reseller to get a node-limited demo version.

I'm sorry to hear that the 3-day training that you attended didn't leave you feeling prepped to perform analysis yourself. The best way to learn that is by working through examples. You can walkthrough this Femap Tutorial or watch the webinars on YouTube such as this one that covers preprocessing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back