Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find an items between display and feature manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoMan

Mechanical
Jan 23, 2004
US
Is there a way to select an item in the feature manager and automatically zoom to it in the assembly display?

Conversely, is there a way to select a part in the model and automatically find it in the feature manager?

I'm familiar with "Go to" and I realize that items highlight. The problem is finding items in the feature manager which are buried inside patterns.

As I recall, this was a useful feature in Inventor and I'm missing it in SWX.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version & SP are you running?
In the SW04 SP1 I have access to, the pattern is expanded & the part is highlighted when it is selected in the graphics area.
Check your Tools > Options > System Options > Display/Selection settings. Specifically Highlight all edges ... & Dynamic highlight ....

[cheers] from Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain [lol]
faq559-863

I'm using 2k4, sp 2.1

Following your advice I've set the options as you suggested. Unfortunately, my patterns don't expand automatically. When I find the pattern and expand it manually, the part is shown highlighted.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The pattern thing has been an issue for a long time...

As for selecting an item in the FM and zooming to that item in the window, just select it, and then right click and choose 'zoom to selection.'

Tried on my SW03 SP0 machine at work this morning and found that it did not expand the pattern .... at first! However, Once I had gone searching through the patterns & expanded & collapsed them, it worked. So perhaps you or someone could make up a macro which would expand & collapse all patterns, or at least expand them. SW already has a collapse switch.

[cheers] from Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain [lol]
faq559-863

From the original question:

--"Is there a way to select an item in the feature manager and automatically zoom to it in the assembly display?"

Yes, You can select the feature in the feature manager and the click on the "ZOOM TO SELECTION" button.

Conversely, is there a way to select a part in the model and automatically find it in the feature manager?

Yes, Under TOOLS/OPTIONS/SYSTEM OPTIONS/Feature manager.. select "Scroll selected item into view" and "dynamic highlight"

hope that helps.

Regards,
Jon
jgbena@yahoo.com

Thanks for the input!

I just stumbled across something, as well. When right-clicking on a part in the model, I noticed the small double chevron at the bottom of the context-sensitive menu.

One of the items added to the menu was "Go To Feature (In Tree)" added to the extrude feature of the component.

You guys saved me a call to my VAR (who I suspect is getting tired of hearing from me...)

You VAR is being paid to hear from you................ don't feel bad. I have been a VAR in the past and I understand the issue with the odd person who is on the phone all day long. However questions like this should not take them more than a few seconds to answer. (I am not suggesting you should avoid asking the forum either - just don't feel bad about using your paid-for service.)

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

A hobbit's lifestyle sounds rather pleasant...... it's the hairy feet that turn me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back