Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find part in a assembly. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

VW181

Mechanical
Jan 23, 2013
NL
Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a way to find a (small) part in a large assembly, other then use "Show Only"
The command "Find In Navigator" shows where the part is in the assembly navigator when you select a part in the moddeling area.
But i want to search in the other direction.
I want to select a part in the Assembly Navigator and that part then is shown in the moddeling area. (by zooming in, highlighting it, blinking...... )

I hope someone has a solution for me.

Using NX 8.0 on Windows 7 (64)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

one more can be Right click the component in the navigator and select SHOW DEGREE OF FREEDOM..this will give you the location of componnet and the use F6 to zoom in that area.
Best REgards
Kapil

Thanks for the reactions.

Show degrees of freedom does not work. It gives only the text back in top of the screen "there are no degrees of freedom"
And F6 ask me to select the area to zoom in.

And show only is what i don't want. That is not working nice in a big assembly. But indeed, it's for me too the only way i know now.

Glad to help out.

I use this function a lot when running interference checks. Quite often, some of the resulting interferences are tiny and difficult to see at a glance. Highlighting them in the part navigator and using fit view to selection does the trick.

www.nxjournaling.com

Hi,
Right click in the assembly navigator tree FIND SELECTED COMPONENT and then select the component from the screen ...the assembly structure in the navigator will automatically fit itself to the screen even if the list of compoennts is too big to be contained in the navigator.
Best Regards
Kapil Sharma

Then you can select the part in de assembly (modeling), and click on the button "find in navigator". (or menu: Edit -> Selection -> Find in Navigator)
Then the tree in assembly navigator will expand to that part.

@socialcad : Use the "Find component" in the assembly toolbar, then under the "By name"-tab select one of the options such as "contains" then type a few characters and press OK, the found components stays selected, then press the button "Find in Navigator" in the selection bar. ( If the selected components are invisible in the ANT.) You can also use the "Fit view to selection".

Regards,
Tomas

And starting in NX 8.5, once you've found and selected/highlighted the Component of interest using any of the above mentioned schemes, if you were to then set it to be the Work Part, the rest of the Assembly will automatically be set to 'See-Thru' mode so that the Work Part will be clearly visible even if it were buried inside of a large and complex Assembly, as seen here:

WorkPartSee-Thru_zpsd79eb802.png

Note that you can do it manually today by just switching into your favorite 'See-Thru' mode before or after selecting the Work Part.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back