Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Finders Fees 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoobi

Structural
Feb 23, 2012
Hi all,

I've searched for information regarding a partnership and finders fees being applied to work brought in by either partner.
I found and have read this thread -

My situation is slightly different so would like your opinions on this please.
My business partner and I are in the process of setting up a company and are currently documenting the particulars.
Everything is fine but for the issue over the finders fee.

Our situation differs from the above thread in that my partner has a full time job(not in the same field) and I don't. He has proposed a 20% finders fee, 20% for the work on a project and 60% going into the company to build some capital.

Now I tend to side with the above thread in that as a partnership its 50/50 and everything is for the benefit of the company, not the individual.

I guess my underlying issue with the finders fee is that in my mind it has the potential to be more beneficial to him as he can bring in projects and because I will have more time available I will land up doing majority of the work. My 20% then seems quite a task to acquire than his 20% as the finder.

Any advice on this or is my concern unfounded??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey everyone!

Firstly thanks for all the replies and valuable insight! I really appreciate it...

In the end I decided to go alone rather, as has been strongly mentioned in this thread it had to be that way!

RacingAz - I wasn't the one in the partnership displaying the naivety as I was fighting for admin aspects and day-to-day business running to receive some form of compensation and my partner never saw the need for it...

Thanks again guys!All the best for 2012!

I am sure you have taken the better option zoobi. Good luck with your new venture.

One more bit of advice, find yourself a good accountant as soon as possible, keeping costs down including paying as little tax as is legally possible will be key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back