Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding 2005's response time slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

DamianC

Industrial
Apr 6, 2004
IE
Since installing SWX2005 I find the response time very slow,is anyone finding that problem or am I in the wrong to blame 2005

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SW05 is stable and faster then any SW released in a long time.

You should check your video Card drivers, Clean out all your TEMPs, If you did an upgrade from SW04 to SW05 you should uninstall clean out your Registry and Reinstall. The FAQ of this Forum should help you with a lot of this.

How do I see what my hardware and drivers being used are? - faq559-1027
How do I set the Software OpenGL option in SW? - faq559-1058
Alternative to try before reinstalling - faq559-507
Backing up Important SW files - faq559-874
How do I do a clean uninstall & reinstall of Solidworks? - faq559-488
Have you Cleaned out your TEMP Folder out lately? - faq559-884

And many more...

See - For you video card and video Driver that you should be using.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

I too am finding that it takes a lot longer to open and save files.

I initially installed 2005 straight over 2004. Then removed 2004 completely and did a fresh 2005 install. It made no difference and it still hangs and then crashes, when in 2004 it would have had no problem.

Recently installed SP1 hoping that it would help but it is just the same.

When you reisntalled SW05 did you remove all dictories off your HDD and clean out the Registry completely?

I see all kinds of stuff and my seat is always changing, due to other users settings, etc.. and my seat is still very stable and fast. Doesn't make a lot of sense, so maybe you guys should list your video card and drivers that are being used? try toggling the Software openGL to see if that makes a difference. See FAQ

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

Have you converted the SW2004 files to SW2005 before trying to open them? If you have not, that could be one of the main reasons for the slowness. If you are opening SW2004 files directly into SW2005, then SW2005 has to convert the files on the fly & the slowness should be expected.

[cheers]

My computer is on a network, and the Symantec antivirus is on the server. I have "symantec antivirus client" on my computer. I am uninstalling SW2005 and SW2004 as I type this, and need to know if I should dissable that or not?
I've been following this thread, as I am experiencing crashes and slow redraws also. The file sizes are around 20-30mb. They are bigger than I'd think they should be for as simple as they are.

davidinindy ... You should disable any anti-virus when installing SolidWorks.

As for your "crashes & slow redraws" more info would help to determine what could be at fault. In FAQ559-716 there is a list of system related items which can be cut & pasted into a post & to witch you can add the relevant specs.

[cheers]

Depends on what the customer sends me. But If I open my Bionicle, it opens fast. Most of that model is solid surface models. Which has a total# of 48 parts. If your not sure what a Bionicle is click on the link above

Here is a list of Apps I have to have running all the timeduring a normal day of work:

1) Outlook 2000
2) IE Explorer - Our Web-based DB
3) IE Explorer - SW Web-based DB
4) Our local DB that I connect to over Terminal services
5) SW05 - With at least one assembly open
6) SW04 - This just runs idle until it's needed.

I do all this on a 2.4 Ghz machine with a Quadro 1100 FX using 53.03 drivers. I am running only 1 gig of RAM. My Virtual memory is set to 3 times for min and max RAM. I have 13.1 GB of HDD space left. My TEMP's get cleaned out once a week if I remember. I have to run a repair about once a month because of all the different options and files that come through here. I actually don't have an AV any where on this system. i have another system that covers that for me.

What else do you want to know?

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

I can't believe sbaugh's statement that Solidworks is stable and fast!!!
What kind of agenda is this guy pushing, and why?

Read the Solidworks forum Scott. read all the other forums. Try using the software for practical applications.
Solidworks 2005 is NOT STABLE, NOT FAST.

Guys, I've been thru all of the FAQ's.
I just did a clean install, and had to do nothing with the AV software on the server since my SW installation is a stand-alone install.
I then updated to SP0.1.
I loaded a file with a linear pattern of 140 revolved shapes, and made a change to the base feature, then rebuilt the model. It locks up and stops responding. The file is 36mb, which, for the type of the geometry it is, seems pretty big. There are no free-form surfaces. Just two different tapered cylinder shapes, and some ribs patterned 140 times.

solidmail,

Let me pull your shoe strings out of my throat, since you decided to jump down there. Obviously you are having some issues. Instead of jumping on me why don't you try posting your issues along with your Computer specs and maybe someone will help you.

I have been using SW for many years now 1995-96. So I have plenty of practice. In my job I have to change my settings almost everyday to accomidate other users settings. That alone can take a toll on my machine. But look at the stuff I run above, and my system is stable. Heck IMO, SW05 is more stable then SW03 or 04 every was. Now if your having problems, why don't you post to a new thread and try your luck there. But don't come in here on this thread and give me flack about how unstable it is. You can point out yours is unstable but don't try to tell me, that I'm full of $^%$.

If it's so unstable, then why did you make the move? You should fully test it before making the change. if you read any NG you would have read that. That was posted once a week during Beta! If this was decided by your IT or manager, then go take your Frustration out on him, not me. I have to take that all day long, and I don't plan on taking it here too.

I can't believe sbaugh's statement that Solidworks is stable and fast!!!
What kind of agenda is this guy pushing, and why?

Because it is for me and all my colleges here. I have no agenda! I have been in this NG way before you, plus I was in different job then I am now. Just because I work for 3DVision doens't mean I'm pushing anything. I'm not salesmen I'm a Technical person that has been working in SW probably way before you! I'm here to help people that want help. Not people that have to accuse others of crap that they are just too scared to face... Like Change!

Read the Solidworks forum Scott. read all the other forums. Try using the software for practical applications.
Solidworks 2005 is NOT STABLE, NOT FAST.

How about we do a test? You find an assembly and send it me and we will test stablity and speed. You can't send me an already corrupted assembly, that would be unfair. Find a SW05 assembly that will open and I'lll test it with you. We can compare test. If you don't find that fair then you come up with a better solution.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

davidinindy said:
I loaded a file with a linear pattern of 140 revolved shapes, and made a change to the base feature, then rebuilt the model. It locks up and stops responding. The file is 36mb, which, for the type of the geometry it is, seems pretty big. There are no free-form surfaces. Just two different tapered cylinder shapes, and some ribs patterned 140 times.

David,

140 linear Patterns of a revolved shape! Dang!! That would take awhile to open an rebuild under most any system. It has to rebuild that feature 140 times.

Patterns will kill your speed on most ant system as well has a number of fillets. So the problem(s) can be in the way files are designed and not really SW directly.

"Not responding" Is that what you see in the Task Manager? If so, did you check the CPU usage? If the CPU is a 0% then I would kill it and send the file to your VAR. Do give a few seconds, because I have seen where SW will stop CPU usage for a breif moment and if you see 0% you could have arrived at the same moment. If the CPU is doing something then leave it. Because SW is still rebuilding the file.

Please advise David!

Best Regards to you!

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

I have found that SW05 is far more stable than previous versions doing our compressor assemblies and packages. Sometimes it does not like to play nice with our network which will occasionally slow things down. But that is a local IT issue.

SOLIDMAIL ... I don't know what kind of forums, if any, you normally frequent, but that type of comment & your kind of attitude is NOT wanted in this one.

These forums are for engineering professionals ... NOT engineering assholes.

Take your own advice & read the SolidWorks & other forums ... then post back here how many times SBaugh has asked for any form of remuneration ... to save you some time I'll give give you the answer now ... ZERO.

Like the vast majority of other members in this forum, his agenda is to learn & help others learn how to optimize their SW installations so that they can maximize their proficiency with SolidWorks ... of any version.

The time given to help other forum members is voluntary ... no reward is asked for nor expected ... because of that, assinine comments like yours are also not expected nor warranted.

O U C H!

I deserved that, fair enough.
Sorry Scott, I should have taken a few deep breaths before my post, which was both personal and dishonourable, and I apologize for that. Your tips have helped me in the past and I appreciate it, really.
At the time of posting, we had similar crashes in different situations (SW2005 SP 0.1) which is a common occurance.
We have 4 licenses in our office, 13 in the UK and more in the US. Our VAR's supply and maintain our hardware, and we keep in touch world-wide to help resolve SW issues.
SW2005 has been very unstable and unpredictable, particularly with respect to the drawing package. There are too many publicly accounted for bugs in this release, and we believe it was let out far too early.

Again, aplogies for offending this forum. It will not happen again.
Scott- I will compile a set of files for you to evaluate, thanks for the offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back