Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding 2005's response time slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

DamianC

Industrial
Apr 6, 2004
IE
Since installing SWX2005 I find the response time very slow,is anyone finding that problem or am I in the wrong to blame 2005

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Version of SolidWorks: 2005
SolidWorks Sercive Pack: 0.1
Operating System & Service Pack: XP SP2.0
Graphics Card and Driver version: NVidia Quadro 4 900XGL 6.14.0010.5303
Amount of installed RAM: 1024MB
Virtual Memory settings: 1536MB
CPU Type & Speed: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) 2.2GHz(Dual Processors)

Sorry Scott for getting you into this 'Handling'(as we say here in Ireland),that guy was pretty sore on you.I've posted my details above.I had received the file in as an iges file at first and have now saved it and is carrying out some more work to it.The virgin file was created on Pro E Wildfire and it's about 6MB in size.It might be fair to say that it's only occurring with a couple of these files as I have opened a few others and found them to be okay.

Stand alone PC

Dell Precision 2.8 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, NVIDIA QUADRO FX 500.

When I re-installed 2005 I used regedit to remove any traces of 2004.

I just increased the paging file to a max of 3 times it's normal size and that seems to have helped a bit.

"Patterns will kill your speed on most ant system as well has a number of fillets. So the problem(s) can be in the way files are designed and not really SW directly."

I thought that the whole point of patterns was to reduce the amount of computing power required by simply replicating components and features?!? I use that feature quite a lot.

Will have a look at the NVIDIA website and try and download the latest driver.

Version of SolidWorks: SW2005
Everything you ever wanted to know about my system.

SolidWorks Sercive Pack: SP0.1
Operating System & Service Pack: WinXP SP2.0
Graphics Card and Driver version: Nvidia Quadro FX1000
Driver version 6.14.0010.5303
Amount of installed RAM: 20GB
Virtual Memory settings: Minumum 2mb Maximum 4096mb
CPU Type & Speed: Xeon 3.2Ghz
Assembly Statistics:
Recent changes to system: none
Recent changes to file/document: trying to edit sketch of patterned feature
Does problem exist on other computers: no… I’m only one running solidworks
Does problem exist with other files: yes.

Time of this report: 11/16/2004, 15:21:47
Machine name: ENGINEERING
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Precision WorkStation 450
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 220MB used, 3788MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: Quadro FX 1000
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0309&SUBSYS_018210DE&REV_A2
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.5303 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/17/2003 10:33:00, 4323968 bytes

I use linear pattern all of the time. It's not always 140 places, but it's the nature of my business.
I do packaging solutions, and the object is to cram as much product in a given amount of space (tote, pallet, sea-container). I need to find a way to create these and have Solidworks remain useable. solidworks was here when I was hired, so I don't have much choice but to use it.

Scoobystu ... The latest driver from nVidia is not necessarily the best for SW. Check for the latest SW Certified driver for your card.

To all postees with slowness problems ...
myself said:
Have you converted the SW2004 files to SW2005 before trying to open them? If you have not, that could be one of the main reasons for the slowness. If you are opening SW2004 files directly into SW2005, then SW2005 has to convert the files on the fly & the slowness should be expected.

In general, a part formed by one complex sketch which includes multiple holes, slots, chamfers, etc, will regen faster than a part with multiple features with individual simple sketches.

[cheers]

I've created my files in 2005. I have also tried to minimize the features by using more complex sketches, hence the revolved sketch instead of using 2 or 3 extruded features and linear patterning them.

Scott, do you work with large assemblies around 3000 parts. if so, can you comment on any improvements in 2005 over 2004 for handling large assemblies? i am not using 2005 yet still running 2004 sp4.2.
thanks
cliff

I increased my paging file and it helped a bit. I then downloaded the recommended driver from the SW website and it's back to the way it was before. Maybe a couple of restarts would help.

I tell you all what. You pay for my plane ticket, my hotel night, and I'll fly out there and see if I can help you out. My fee is $100/hour plusthe above!..... Just kidding [lol].. unless? :)

solidmail,

Apology Accepted! Now lets get down to the nitty gritty of the problems. Hopefully some of us can get some speed and stability back.

DamianC said:
Version of SolidWorks: 2005
SolidWorks Sercive Pack: 0.1
Operating System & Service Pack: XP SP2.0
Graphics Card and Driver version: NVidia Quadro 4 900XGL 6.14.0010.5303
Amount of installed RAM: 1024MB
Virtual Memory settings: 1536MB
CPU Type & Speed: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) 2.2GHz(Dual Processors)

Everything looks good here in the respect of Hardware and video driver.

DamianC said:
I had received the file in as an iges file at first and have now saved it and is carrying out some more work to it.The virgin file was created on Pro E Wildfire and it's about 6MB in size.It might be fair to say that it's only occurring with a couple of these files as I have opened a few others and found them to be okay.

IGES file - Not the best form of translation. Translating files breaks down like this.

1) Parasolid
2) Step
3) IGES
4) ACIS

But if that is all you have to work with, then we work with it.

When you got the file in did you have too or better yet did you run a Diagnose on it? Did you run a Tools\Check on the file?

Maybe the file in the beginning had some problems (General Faults) If you have a part that has general faults and you don't remove those faults and repair it. Your going to be haunted by them later down the line of the files history. You could lose speed, and stability because of it. You could lose more but those are the first 2 that you will lose. Check those few things out if you can.

Scoobystu said:
Stand alone PC

Dell Precision 2.8 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, NVIDIA QUADRO FX 500.

When I re-installed 2005 I used regedit to remove any traces of 2004.

I just increased the paging file to a max of 3 times it's normal size and that seems to have helped a bit.

"Patterns will kill your speed on most ant system as well has a number of fillets. So the problem(s) can be in the way files are designed and not really SW directly."

I thought that the whole point of patterns was to reduce the amount of computing power required by simply replicating components and features?!? I use that feature quite a lot.

Will have a look at the NVIDIA website and try and download the latest driver

You didn't list your video card driver. But SW still shows the 53.03 driver to be the driver to use with SW05.

Another thing to note, Your only using 512MB of RAM. I don't recommend anything below 1 gig and that was when SW04 was out.

Patterns don't increase speed, they decrease it. Because that pattern must be rebuilt. It might be only one feature, but inside that feature it is rebuilding it "X" amount of times.

See my conclusion at the end of this post

davidinindy said:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I only quoted what I found different between your machine and my own.

I'm honestly still running SP1 of XP. Until SW05 SP1.0 is out. SW says it supports SP0.1, but I plan to wait until 1.0 comes out.

You listed DirectX Version 9.0c - I show 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)

Our systems are close with a few exceptions. You have a faster CPU and more RAM then me. Your Virtual Memory is set higher also.

Have you seen this News letter? - - Check it out and maybe something there might help with performance - Do look at placing VM on a separate HDD. That has been proven to increase Speed by 15-30%.

See my conclusion at the end of this post

cliffcalgary said:
Scott, do you work with large assemblies around 3000 parts. if so, can you comment on any improvements in 2005 over 2004 for handling large assemblies? i am not using 2005 yet still running 2004 sp4.2.
thanks
cliff

Cliff I have to admit I have not opened anythign up at that size. I think my system would probably choke on that large of an assembly... stable or not. It's honestly hard to say because I have opened some large ones up before, but I couldn't quote you the size and I was able to maintain stablity. I'll see if I can find a large assembly somewhere and open it up.

The best way is to install SW05 next to your SW04 and test it out. With that large of an assembly I hope your opening the file in Lightweight mode?

In conclusion try some of these:

1) Try turning down the Hardware accelration . RMB your Desktop and select properties\ Settings tab\ Advanced\ Troubleshooting Tab and pull that slider to none and test your files.
2) Use the feature statistics to find your slowest Feature. These will inform you what is taking the longest. Then you can try to make it less Complicated so it will possibly speed it up.
3)
I might add more tomorrow afternoon. It’s late and If I forgot anybody please forgive me and let me know. If you want to talk offline, shot me an email and I will reply ASAP.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

Just for the rocord...
I've been doing some tests with SW2005 SP0.1 on a portable 1.6MHZ PentiumM, with 512MB RAM, running WXP SP1. I don't know how to compare the PentiumM machines with the "normal" Pentium machine. It's not a slow machine, but we have faster PC's running SW (I've made some comparing tests).

I've been testing a current project which as 747 components distributed among 5 level assemblies. The file has 8.6MB. I can work easely in this assembly and I'm far from pulling out my hair (wich is good, because there's no much left). With the main assembly oppened, I open and edit some parts and drawings, some of them having 2-3MB, and the rebuild time is fair enough.

I've been testing SW2005, in a regular basis, since SP0 was available for download. Never experienced a crash or low speed. If there where big issues with SW2005 (not referring some bugs, which is why I'm still running SW2004) I guess I would find them on my portable.

Regards

One improvement I have seen in 2005's handeling of large assemblies with configuragtions and lightweight parts:

In 2004, if you open an assembly lightweight and switch configs, all parts are resolved. This is true even if you select a config in the Open dialog which is different from the last saved config.

In 2005, some parts are still resolved when you switch configs but not every one.

Getting around in drawings in 2005 is a lot faster too.

Some slowness is opening older version files in 2005 as it must do some conversions as it opens them. Once saved in 2005 howver, they are fast again.

Jason Capriotti
Smith & Nephew, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back