Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding the phi angle for layer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMuukkhh

Civil/Environmental
Mar 24, 2017
AE
Hello everyone

I have this problem for Foundation Engineering. When determining the allowable downward capacity, I need to calculate the toe bearing capacity. To calculate it I used the following formula:

q'_t = B*gamma*N_gamma + sigma'_ZD * N_q*

To calculate the N_q* and N_gamma, I need to find the phi angle for each layer. The N_60 count for each layer is given to me. But I'm confused on how do I need to find the phi angle if N60 is given for one layer of soil ?

Screen_Shot_2017-03-24_at_7.40.19_PM_fqykqj.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are "cook book" charts relating N to angle of friction. Almost any text book has the chart. However, more likely your usable bearing capacity is less than computed since settlement probably governs.

I presume this is for a pile since you have referenced toe capacity.

You can use your SPT data and Meyerhof (1956,1976) from page 895 of Bowels 5th edition. This will be a rough guide and should be confirmed against your local code.

Ult capacity = Ap(40N)(Lb/B).......pick the lesser of that and Ap(380N)

Ap - area of pile base
N - N70, you will need to convert your N60 to N70 by using the SPT hammer efficiency
Lb - penetration to bearing stratum
B - width of pile diamater

Note - N is the average Nvalue of 8B above pile toe and 3B below plie toe. Use a conservative average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back