Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fine burr formation on top edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

badnisse

Industrial
Apr 6, 2011
SE
new here and new to laser cutting so i hope someone here could help me whit a trouble i have. when cutting 4 mm stainless steel i get a great soft bottom edge free of burr but a very sharp top edge, feels a little like very fine burr. have a 7,5" lens and a 1,8 nozzel but cant remember gas pressure for now. where should i start to check for errors?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

well got a finnpower lc6 with Rofin Sinar 2,500 Watt diffusion cooled CO2 SLAB laser. Dont have the exact number but think it was 17 bar pressure and 2,1 m/min in speed and have a max setting of 2500 watt and a min of 2200. I think the focus is ok becus if i move it i get burr formation at the bottom again. Nozzel distance is 0,7 mm.

Sorry, I may have gave you the wrong answer. You have a fine burr, the type of burr that would feel like you are dragging your finger tips across a file or fine sand paper or is it heavier? Generally, I cut 4mm stainless at 4.2 to 4.6 depending on the grade of stainless.

Keep in mind my machine has a 4000 watt resonator but i use a 5,0" lens to cut anything below 0.1875" your focus point seems about right but your gas pressure seems high to me 2.0mm nozzle at about 12 bar should be ok. is your top edge just sharp or is there really a burr? I personally have never had a burr on the top edge but i do get a sharp top edge because the cut is so square.also for stainless your nozzle standoff should be less about 0.4mm.

thanks for all the suggestions. Well would maybe say that is more of a very sharp edge like a razor blad then sandpaper, maybe is like you say that the cut is so square. is there any way around it or is it better to have it that way and deburr the top side of every pice made. the focus is set to 4.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back