Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finite element heat transfer analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwynb

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2002
I am looking for Finite element heat transfer analysis software (does not need to be shareware) for simple non-complex heat transfer calcs. I do not want to purchase expensive NASTRAN or NISA type software. A reply would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Alwynb

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've not purchased this software myself, but am looking to have it bought for my company's use. Check it out, it's called EZ-Thermal and works out of Excel.

Let me know if you get it and what you think.

I purchased an educational version of ANSYS for the same reason. It is an inexpensive way to model systems that are not geometrically complex. Although the number of elements and nodes is limited (something like 500 and 1000, respectively), the rest of the software is full feature (including mechanical, fluid flow, etc.).

Anthony

Alwynb-
I have Pro/E Student Edition and Pro/Mechanica FEA Student Edition at home. I have great respect for the "industrial strength" of ANSYS, NASTRAN, NISA et. al. but for simple problems they are certainly overkill (BIG learning curve too!)

Pro/Mechanica I purchased for $120 from an on-line vendor.

Why use FEA? CFD can handle all heat transfer modes with less guesswork. For example, with convection problems your answers are only as good as your guesses for the convection coefficients. CFD codes don't need convection coefficients. Go to any freeware site and search on "CFD." I'm sure you can get some poorly documented codes for free. Here's one site:
Hope this helped!

Tunalover

Alwynb----
i'm using ansys 7.1 educational software.it is quite less in cost and high in efficiency and is depends how u do the problem.

karthik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back