Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fire Alarm Box Required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbsfp

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2022
US
I have a group B building undergoing a Level 3 Alteration and Partial Change of Use, so essentially needs to be brought up to the code of a new building. 1st floor is about 5800 sqft all group B occupancy (tattoo parlor) 2nd floor is about 400 sqft all low hazard storage. No sprinkler system in the building and none is required to be installed. Total occupancy is well under 500 and 2nd floor well under 100.

The adopted local code is IBC 2015. Section 907.2.2 says no fire alarm system (neither automatic nor manual) is required in the building due to the aforementioned occupancy load, and no ambulatory care facility inside. However Section 907.2 says that "not fewer than one manual fire alarm box shall be provided"...

I can't for the life of me figure out if the "not fewer than one manual fire alarm box shall be provided" part is in reference to all new buildings, or only in buildings that require a fire alarm system as decided by 907.2.1-907.2.23.

Any help would be incredible

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks like the requirement in 907.2 only applies if the fire alarm system has automatic fire detectors or waterflow detectors

All I know is P/A and Mc/I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back