Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fire alarm, security, and telephone systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbelectrical

Industrial
Dec 31, 2002
US
Electrical designers and engineers at the MEP firm I work at are required to design fire alarm systems, telephone, and on occasion, security systems.

I use the term "design" very loosely, however. For telephone systems, we provide locations for telephone and data outlets, telephone backboards/cabinets, conduits, etc. For fire alarm systems, we spot initiation/notification devices, panels, etc. and show a riser diagram. For security systems, we'll show junction boxes and conduit runs.

The problem is, I'm beginning to feel uncomfortable with the highly diagrammatic nature of my drawings. They're too laden with "Coordinate with contractor" type notes. Too much guesswork. Nobody at my office has an extensive knowledge of the above systems - they specialize in lighting and power only.

Can anyone recommend a book (Or several) that just goes over the basics?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your firm is in the "design" of systems such as fire alarm, Telephone and security systems for customers, I would think you are putting the company at risk if you are not aware of the NEC, EIA/TIA andNFPA72 standards and codes that are usually specified by most contracts. You can get copies of each of these codes/standards, but unless you have a bit of technical knowledge and a good grasp of each of the systems requirements, you leave yourself and your company open to alot of problems.
If you are designing systems, you need to consider grounding for those systems, as they each have different or no requirements. Fire system sensors have requirements as to where they are placed and how far apart they are(see NFPA72). EIA/TIA can help you a great deal on telecom installs,as well as the NEC handbook. Those three items will give you as much or more technical info on what is required than alot of the inspectors have or are aware of.
If you have some basic wiring experience and a good grasp on the basics of those systems you may stumble through it well enough to get by on a project or even a few. But if you do alot of projects I would recommend finding a good Low Voltage or Special systems consultant.
They can review your project and give you info and recommendations so your company provides a safe and professional installation.
Hopefully those three items will help you out, but I think you will find that unless you are installing very small systems, if you have no experience in the layout it will catch up with you either in service or Legal issues nowadays. GOOD LUCK!!

SpecialSystems,

I probably should have worded my original post much differently. We're not truly "designing" security and telephone systems, we merely make provisions for them. The most we do is provide conduits and enclosures for the security and telephone contractors to do whatever it is they need to do for a particular project. We'll *never* specify security panels or telephone equipment on our contract documents. We have yet to run into problems, but I suppose there's always a first time.

As far as fire alarm systems go, all of the electrical designers and engineers are very knowledgable of NFPA (and other applicable codes). There are just a few questions here and there that they're unable to answer whenever I ask. (I'm the least experienced of the group, by the way.) I'm actually following the advice you had given me, though. I'm consulting with a fire alarm contractor tomorrow morning on a project that his firm isn't even doing - nice of him, huh?

Anyways, the office I work at occasionally holds these one-hour learning seminars hosted by various sales representatives. I'm going to try to arrange similar meetings with low-voltage/specialty contractors at the office I work at. - even if everyone else gripes about it.

Thanks,

--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back