Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fire and Explosion Frequencies for transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPW363

Petroleum
Oct 13, 2006
US
Can someone point me to statistics for oil filled transformer fires and explosion (frequencies, damage, loss of life, clean-up, etc). We have a range of voltages including 240->35kV and 35->4kV.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can try these guys they make a rupture disc system that is supposed to prevent an explosion of a unit. They've got a fair amount of information regarding explosions and fires of oil filled units. They'll probably give you the information as part of their sales pitch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

[slightly off-thread]

TurbineGen,

Interesting site. I've never seen anything quite like that product. Does anyone have operational experience of one of these things? All the images on the website were drawings and sketches, no actual photos of one in the field. Is it a concept or a real product?

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

There is a company called SERGI that makes something similar - it may even be the same thing? See Google for details and website.

None of the utilities around my area were ever game to trial it (to my knowledge), although I vaguely recall it was being sold/promoted some relatively reputable retailers so is probably a "real" product.

Thanks
I have a package of information from Transproco, some of which is interesting and useful. Much of it is theoretical so I would be interested to hear from others if they have actually used this type of system for explosion mitigation.

Does anyone know if one of the professional bodies keeps a record of fires and explosions?

One possible rsource is the NEDER database maintained by EA Technology in the UK. It's a record of equipment failures as experienced by the member companies, primarily distribution network operators and covers switchgear, transformers, etc. I think the main purpose was to identify type faults and failure trends. EA will probably make a charge for the information, which isn't unreasonable as there is a fair amount of effort which goes in to maintaining large sets of data over long periods.

They don't seem to be advertising it on their website which may mean it is a member-only service.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Scotty & mgtrp, yes it is real. The company is owned by SERGI, but it is still in it's infancy. I installed that rupture disk system at a pumped storage site in NJ a few years ago. The 129 MVA shell form transformer was built on the roof of the control building right on the reservior. They didn't want a deluge system because washing the oil into the reservior would be an environmental issue. Fire walls wouldn't protect the building. This seemed to be the only viable option. I can't explain why no pictures, but I have some I can Email out.

The company had video and much documentation of tests and three or four successful 'activations' from other customers.

The company offers a warranty as cost of a replacement transformer if it fails. Of course, if it does fail, the loss of revenue will likely far outweight the cost of a new transformer.

I can give the contact information of the people at the plant where this is installed, but I'm not posting it here. I also have many pictures somewhere. If anyone wants to know the details on this, they are welcome to contact me directly.

-Alex

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back