Fire Code for CNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weko

Materials
Feb 28, 2011
ID
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience in designing fire safety requirement for Compressed Natural Gas plant?

If yes. Which code to refer?

Its my client first time to design the CNG plant. And we are all confused what is the best fire protection for the CNG compressor and CNG Tube. Since the High pressure natural gas will be a "jet fire"; and we think that conventional hydrant could handle the "jet fire".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a very good question as I have a CNG vehicle that I park outside and would like to know SOMETHING about how to rate a dry chemical extinguisher -

The best way to stop a CNG jet fire would be to turn off the flow. If you were to extinguish it some other way, there would still be a jet of CNG which would create an explosion hazard.

Well, you have two different environments being a compressor inside of a building and tubes being part of tractor trailer combination. As suggested above stop the flow; however, for inside the building to protect equipment and structure, carbon dioxide or foam to reduce oxygen and extinguish flame but not stopping the flow of CNG.
For the tubes, a lots of water to cool off adjacent tubes but not to extinguish flames which will died off when the tube is emptied out.
Have you checked out the National Fire Codes? State Fire Marshall and your property/equipment insurance carrier can also help.

Hi again Weko,

It seems that someone red-flagged my original post, in which I asked for the location of your CNG plant. I'm sorry if it seemed that I was asking for personal information. My reason is that different locations have different fire codes, and even though this forum is titled NFPA, it gets questions from around the world sometimes.

The answers above are good I think, and stookey is on the spot as always. NFPA 52 is also a good reference no matter where you are. But if you are in another country, there may be another code being enforced. Eng-tips has participants from around the world.

In any event, let us know how it works out for you!

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

The local regulation for CNG plant isn't established yet. And the client prefer to use NFPA.

The CNG plant itself wont be a "conventional" CNG station for commercial vehical. But rather an "experiment" to use for Power Plant (compressed the excess gas at day time into a storage, and release it on night). All the CNG facilities would be outdoor (only shelter for several equipments).

Our team had a doubt the best fire protection to it. Since the gas is high pressure. Some people think its best to leave it and the gas will dispersd into the air. The best way is just to shut of the flow.

Ok, I'll check on NFPA 52.

Thx all for your comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back