Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fire detectors selection? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigjag

Mechanical
Feb 21, 2007
DE
Hello all,

Placing Heat detectors in outdoor near to pumps with flammables makes any sense?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends, what are u trying to protect? Does the heat detector trip a sprinkler system or shut the pumps off? How large of an area, where is the heat detector in relation to the pumps? Guess what I am saying you need to provide more info before we can answer the question.

I don't know how you are going to make the heat detector operate unless you use cable linear heat detection.

We need more information.

Hello all,
Thank you for replies. so here i describe a little more in detail.

I want to design fire detection system for the complete plant. Its a chemical plant with hazardous liquids and gases. All the process area is open type construction. For gas detection I have chosen diff gas detectors. But the problem is pumps and Heat exchangers at outdoor with flammables. In case of any pump failure there is a possiblity of pool fires. To identify this problem i need to choose some detectors.

Hmm flame detectors may be perfect but they are very expensive. Smoke detectors out door not suitable due to site conditions.

remaining is heat detectors or any alternative?

Standard heat detectors are also not listed or suitable for outdoor use. They need "collection" of heat around them.

For more talk to some fire alarm system manufacutrer's application engineer(s).

ess the other question are you going to have this detector activate anything besides an audio visual such as a fire protection system say foam???

as mentioned before there is heat detection wire not sure if it would meet the set up you have

you need to research uv/ir detectors to once again see if they will work in your set up. some like to activate from reflections of sunlight.

I would rather you consider providing spill control around the pumps and using physical barriers to limit the impact of thermal flux at pumps and heat exhangers rather than spending the money on a heat detection system. I've done this before and in my mind it works better and is far more economical, especially if this is a new plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back