Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fire FIghting in Cable Galery and Rised Floor 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pop

Electrical
Apr 8, 2002
QA
I am looking to find a standard to impose a fire fighting system in a rised floor in a MCC room and cable basement under MCC room for couple of new projects. Can anybody have any idea please?
Regards
pop

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some times linear tape heat detectors are used in cable trays and bundles for this purpose. Another option would be very early warning sampling smoke detection (e.g. VESDA). Once smoke or heat is detected, shut off the power. Standard smoke detectors or higher warning level on the VESDA could be used to arm a pre-action sprinkler system or discharge a clean suppression agent.

If this is an electronic data processing room, it is common and some times required by code, to have manual emergency power off buttons near the exits.

You should consult a fire protection engineer for the design of such a system.

Hi alehman
My practical experience makes me think that fire extinguisher is required in the cable gallery but I can not find a proper Standard to impose in this project. There is already provided fire alarm but not fire extinguisher.
Thaks Peter

There is also a fire retardant coating that can be applied to the cables. It is "intumescent", meaning that when fire breaks out, the material swells up to provide heat resistance to the cables and assist in reducing the spread of the flames. Generally a requirement in a lot of cable tray and computer floor specifications I've seen.

JRaef.com
"Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems." Scott Adams
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

pop,
Unfortunately this is not a simple question to answer. If you are looking for building code requirements, I can speak only for the U.S. These codes are used in some areas of the U.S. and may apply depending on your particular situation.

International Fire Code
NFPA 13 is the standard for fire sprinklers
NFPA 76 is the standard for fire protection in telecommunications facilities
NFPA 2001 is the standard for clean agent suppression systems
NFPA 750 is the Standard on Water Mist Fire Protection Systems
NFPA 851 is the Recommended Practice for Fire Protection for Hydroelectric Generating Plants

You will need to consult your local building official to learn what codes apply in your area and for your application. You will also need to hire a professional engineer who is familiar with the codes in your area and can design an appropriate system.

jraef - This is an interesting product which I have not seen before. I'm familiar with applied intumescent coatings for structural members. I wonder if it has been tested with various insulation and jacket materials. Also I wonder what impact it would have on heat dissipation for normal operation. I do a lot of data center and telecommunications work. Where have you seen it used?

Hi Alehman,
Thanks for the solution. I have used this solution in a power station where a large cable trays are passing trough the walls of one cable basement to another. However we coated the cables for 1.5 m at the either side of walls. However I do not remember the BS no based on what we request the contractor to produce the design.

I do not require designing the fire fighting system. I require only to find the standard, than I can ask the contractor to produce a design.
I can not ask the contractor to provide the fire extinguisher in the basement unless I have an international recognized standard. There is no local standard for this purpose with local authority.

My question is if there is a BS/IEC or NFPA that request that in cable basement for Pumping stations or power station these shall be fire protected with fire extinguishers.
Pop

My 2002 edition of NFPA 851 discusses using water sprinkler or water spray systems in areas of high cable concentrations. If water cannot be used, it suggests to consider gaseous suppression agents. It mentions the use of non-combustible cable jacket materials as a possible alternative to automatic fire suppression systems.

You should get a current edition of NFPA 851.

Depending on the occupancy, the IBC may require a sprinkler system for the building. If so, it then sends you to NFPA 13 which recognizes areas below a raised floor as a concealed space, and requires suppression if there are combustibles. If the cables are plenum rated, many authorities will not call the cables combustible, although in truth they are, and not require suppression below the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back