Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fire Fighting System Design (Newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis_mechanical

Mechanical
Aug 12, 2016
PH
Ok, so I have a layout/floor plan of a small power plant. I've already determine the Classes of Fire on each room. I should only have Class A and Class B fire.

Now, since water is not recommended for class C, (fire originates from energized electrical equipment, particularly, household appliances, computers, or overheard transmission lines). Recommended is Dry powder. Should I put only a Dry powder extinguisher? How about the materials from class A? Should I put water fire fighting system?

This room is a control room, it has materials from class C (fire originates from energized electrical equipment, particularly, household appliances, computers, or overheard transmission lines) and materials from class A ( fire involves ordinary combustibles such as paper, wood, cloth and plastics. Use fire extinguishers with water). Should it require Dry powder only? Or both Dry Powder and Water?

If both dry powder and water is required, my plan is to put a portable dry powder extinguisher inside the control room and include the control room to my water sprinkler system design. (Is this right? both in rules and economics?)

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should select a portable fire extinguisher that contains an extinguishing agent listed for Class A, B and C hazards. All US based portable fire extinguisher (PFE) manufacturers have off-the-shelf products for your scenario. If you are in the US, you may review, at no cost, NFPA Standard 10 at the National Fire Protection Association website. It's very easy to search for. Just enter the following in your browser:

national fire protection association/10

ABC powder makes a mess, the advantage to ABC powder is the low cost. The powder melts at 150°F, coating the burning material and excluding oxygen. Clean up is a problem. Clean agents, Halon, Halotron and water mist do not make a mess, but are more costly than ABC powder.

There are suppression systems that use Halon, Halotron and water mist. Obviously, more expensive than portable extinguishers. Also, suppression systems trip a fire alarm, which adds to the expense. The alarm system can also shut down air systems, mechanical equipment, and electrical power. Companies that sell clean agent systems include Amerex, Ansul, 3M, and Solberg. Clean agent systems may require a vapor tight room. Even with a suppression system, you will need portable extinguishers.

Start with NFPA's on-line Buyer's Guide for companies that sell the different options. They can help you make a choice.

Be careful about the automatic suppression system mentioned above since everybody in that room will have to evacuate the room and in time of critical operation, evacuation of personel could be a problem as there would be no one at the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back