Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fire flow reqmnt for sprinklered building include sprinkler demand? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTTT

Civil/Environmental
Nov 13, 2006
US
The required fire flow can be reduced up to 75% if the building is sprinklered according to the IFC.

Does the reduced fire flow requirement include water demand for sprinkler system? or just for fire department hose streams only?

If not, what method should I use to get the value to add the the reduced fire flow requirement to perform hydraulic model? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

LCREP - you are assuming the fire is on inside of the building where the "sprinklers can find it". If on the outside of the building, sprinklers are essentially useless.

According to the MEP,

"Fire Sprinkler System: Worst-case design flow demand estimate: 2214.9 gpm @ 77.17 psi (for existing system Zone 1 per hydraulic information placard)"

I do not know of any flammable liquids or rolled paper inventory.

Atex:

This sounds like rolled paper storage. The question I have is the rolled paper storage separated from the press? If so, your printing press will have a far smaller demand than the rolled paper storage.

By separated I mean is a 1-hour or 2-hour fire barrier with a fire door separating the printing press from the rolled paper storage?

Atex, something is driving a very large discharge density. A printing press at most is an Extra Hazard Group I density (0.30 GPM over a 2500 square foot design area). You got something else in the building that needs to be examined.

I don't know Stook, like I said, the MEP gave me the information for the sprinkler. Should I "stop the presses" and find out? My scope is site engineering, but I do want to make sure the building is covered in the event of a fire.

Did you work for the AFD in 1990? You don't really notice things until you have a reason, but I seem to be noticing Stookey signatures on sets of plans around the office.

14 years at AFD. That's my signature. I hope I treated you fair and respectfully.

Since it is outside your scope you have no obligation. Your responsibility is only to get the H2O to the site.

I think the question is solved. It sounds like the MEP has reviewed and evaluated the hazards and just wants you to deliver the GPM at a given pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back