Fire hydrants used for non fire operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidCR

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2002
CR
Hello.
In a power plant with water fire system fed by gravity tank (no fire pump).
The hydrants are also used for washing operations mainly washing down cooling towers (they need a good stream to remove algae, mineral deposits, etc.), fire system is great for this.
Water source is reliable and big (much bigger than fire scenario, more than 1000m3, static 170psi, dynamic 800gpm@150psi).
We need to discuss with fire authority to allow us to share fire system with other operations. Are there paragraphs on NFPA to support this?
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure the question

On normal water systems, fire hydrants are used for various supplies all the time.

Seems like the only concern is to keep a minimum water level for fire protection.
Is that the question

People use fire hydrants for many purposes. General construction, cleaning, watering, hot summer days, etc...

I'd suppose if you can maintain your minimum fire flow at 20psi that should suffice.

Oh I found it. NFPA 24, 8.7. Domestic service use prohibited. The use of hydrants and hose for purposes other than fire-related services shall be prohibited.". ...f@#*!.

David CR:

NFPA 24 (2013 edition) has the following requirement:

8.7 Domestic Service Use Prohibited. The use of hydrants and hose for purposes other than fire-related services shall be prohibited.

As an AHJ I wouldn't have an issue with what is being proposed as it is an opportunity to excercise the fire protection system. Assuming the AHJ reads NPFA 24, one approach would be analyze the hydraulic demand for the cooling tower maintenance and a simultaneous event where the fire department will need to flow 1,500 GPM. If you can show that the system can accomodate a simultaneous event (with the understanding the cooling tower maintenance would be suspended during a fire emergency) it may help the Fire Official understand the capability of your fire protection water supply network.

A lot of cities sell water, through fire hydrant meters they rent out.

In the old days and maybe still fire depts filled up swimming pools.

I've had jurisdictions fill up swimming pools from fire pump test headers and top of standpipe roof test headers before.

Sounds gross but the water came out clear. I offered no warranty on the quality of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back