Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fire on Bonhomme Richard 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMaechtlen

Industrial
Jun 28, 2001
US
The Bonhomme Richard was docked in San Diego when something went badly wrong.
Still on fire for second day.
From the Los Angeles Times:
SAN DIEGO —

U.S. Navy officials said Monday that the fire ravaging the amphibious assault ship Bonhomme Richard for a second day has reached temperatures as high as 1,000 degrees and is still burning in various portions of the ship.

Smoke and fumes continue to affect the skyline and air throughout San Diego.

Rear Adm. Philip Sobeck, the commander of Expeditionary Strike Group 3, said Monday morning that the fire is in the superstructure of the ship and its upper decks and that the forward mast has collapsed.

“There’s obviously burn damage all the way through the skin of the ship, and we are assessing that as we kind of go through each compartment,” he said. “Right now the priority is to get the fire out so that we can take a complete assessment.”

Jay Maechtlen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Taylor - they are real, but not really a surprise (or unthinkable). I've been out for about 10 years now, but even in the mid 2000's when the wars were still 'young' and we all remembered 9/11 as a visceral experience atrophy in the blue water Navy was palpable, and the number of discontented sailors around me was alarming. If somebody had told me a fire we had underway once had been arson, I would have accepted it as a matter of course - and ours was a relatively happy command.

When you consider their 'raison d'etre' it is not surprising to find the odd 'flyer'.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back