Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

fire protection of facade

Status
Not open for further replies.

natka24

Mechanical
Sep 26, 2003
US
I need to ask You for Your opinion in following matter. We are finishing electronics factory building.
We equipped this factory with sprinkler installation (intensity 7,5 mm/m2) connected with internal hydrants system.
Now investor wants us to do drencher (dry, open) installation outside – to protect factory façade. This installation would be electronically steered by control – alarm valve, deluge type.
We need such information:
- What operation area should be assumed
- How many rows of wall drenchers should be mounted (height of building is about 12 meters)
- What water flow rate should be assumed for such installation (and how to determine it)
- Where can we find guidelines to make proper design.
- Can we contact somebody from Your company to consult design in this case
Your answer will be very helpful for us.

Thank You very much,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Questions:

1) What nation is the plant being constructed in?
2) What is the method of construction for the facade?
3) What is the lowest outdoor temperature that can be expected at the facade?
4) What is stored beneath the facade?

Ad 1.Ad.2 It is steel construction, with trusses and beems.
It is panel wall built of trapeze sheets and mineral wool
Ad 3. We can expect -20degreece of Celsjusz
Ad 4. Nothing will be stored beneath facade.

Investor want this kind of fire protection system because facade wall has to small fire resistance.

In the US, no automatic sprinkler protection would be required because of the lack of materials being stored under the facade and the facade is noncombustible construction. In the US no fire resistive separation is required.

If the client wants fire protection, I would specify dry pipe sprinkler protection based on a NFPA 13 Ordinary Group I design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back